Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diana55_gw

Water pipe insulation to protect from freezing....

diana55
16 years ago

.......is what I put around my Basjoos, to protect the Banana stems from freezing. It works great!!! I mulch the ground really well, and this year my plants were the biggest ever. They got a head start. Diana55{{gwi:418593}}

Comments (5)

• bearstate
    16 years ago

Dianna,

I can understand that logically, one might believe that insulation keeps in heat ... but, plants do not have a heat generating metabolism. So I'm not sure how wrapping this type of insulation around them helps. It may be that the Banana might draw water up during the day and because that water comes from down in the ground, it might be warmer than the air temperature and the insulation might help a bit to retain that temp. But long cold spells can lower the temps, even down into the ground, and even in daylight hours. On a day that might freeze water in pipes, this strategy would seem certain to fail.

I wonder if you are seeing only what you want to see here?

What made you try this?

• the_virginian
    16 years ago

You would be surprised since the water can travel insulated, just above freezing between the corm and the stalk and in zones 8 and colder, this can really give you a head start on the season.

• diana55
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I live in Zone 8a, and I tried it last year and it worked. We don't get that cold here (mostly snow) and my neighbour does this every year, and it has worked. It worked last year, and I will let you know if it works this year. Diana55 P.S... I put it around my Windmill Palm tree and it works for that too.

• diana55
    Original Author
    16 years ago

{{gwi:418594}} It works the same way as this does. The insulation protects the plant from freezing inside and out. You would be suprized how well it works!!! Diana55

• diana55
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Information on Winterizing Banana Plants.......... If desired, spray your stump and ground area around the plant with a fungicide, (this is optional) and allow it to dry. Then take the 5 plastic lawn bags of leaves, tied closed with twist ties, and "winterize" your banana. Place 4 plastic lawn bags of dry leaves, (leave them in the plastic bags), around the stalk that you just trimmed, up against the stalk. Think of placing them to the North, South, East and West sides around the stalk, so that it is completely surrounded. Then place the last bag on top, to help shed off excess water and keep the stump and surrounding area drier. You can flatten it slightly if you want to.

You just made an enclosure for your plant that will protect it from the elements, excess moisture, heat and cold, until spring. Then in spring when it gets warmer and daffodils and spring flowers start blooming, remove the bags of leaves and when the soil warms up--your banana will sprout again. When you see new growth and it's grown to about a foot tall, start your fertilization program. Sometimes your banana will grow right from the stalk you cut off last year, and sometimes it will send up new shoots from the ground where its roots are still alive. Either way, it's exciting to see it start growing again in spring! In our part of the country, Canada, you will be seeing growth in most areas by the middle of May. I have noticed some plants in my yard in shadier areas took until the first of June to start growing, though, so don't give up on it too soon! Pipe Insulation works the same way !!!

Diana55