Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hydrojeff

red varegated banana

hydrojeff
16 years ago

hello everyone, i just got a banana tree that looks varegated red and green on top and almost pure red on the bottom any ideas what it might be named?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (18)

• tophersmith
    16 years ago

Siam Ruby

• sandy0225
    16 years ago

It could be a zebrina, a bordelon, or a sumatrana x gran nain cross. How much did you pay for it?
    A Siam Ruby is not cheap, some of the others are much less in cost.

• modenacart
    16 years ago

You can get Siam Ruby for under 50 bucks now, but if you had that most likely you would know it. I would suspect zebrina but no one is going to be able to really even guess without a picture.

• buzzwinder
    16 years ago

Yes! If you could post a picture it would be very helpful.

• hydrojeff
    Original Author
    16 years ago

through very close observation of other plants i now see it is a zebrina, and i found a sight that has the siam for 35.00 do you think this is real, the co. name is Plants Delight Nursery.inc let me know what you think. Thanks again everyone.

• jon1949
    16 years ago

Hi hydrojeff, If your not in a hurry wait until after the first of the year.Most of these Siam's come from Agri-starts and are tissue culture plants.Only a hand full of people can sell them now but after Jan. 1 Agri-starts can sell to all of there customers.They have dropped from over a $100.00 to $35.00 on Ebay within the last few months.I expect them to be around $10.00 when there is more competition.Agri-starts will sell them for $3.50 ea. x 72(one flat min. order)+ shipping.John

• hydrojeff
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks john, not that up on what you mean? are these better than pups? and have you heard of plants delights nur?
    and another one i found is brians botanicals both selling for 35.00.have you heard of ether one of them?
    Thanks again. Jeff

• buzzwinder
    16 years ago

You can check (Garden watch dog) to check seller ratings.

• sandy0225
    16 years ago

Brian's Botanicals in Louisville is highly recommended by me. I've purchased plants from him before. and He's also the guy who put the Siam Ruby into tissue culture through Agristarts. So he's the "originator" of the plant. Also, he's grown them probably longer than anyone around here, so if you have any problems, you could contact him for support.

• jon1949
    16 years ago

Hi Jeff, Both Brian and Plant Delights I think are excellent.Both probably get there plants from the same place.I would chose the lowest price because they both will work with you if you have a problem.I think tissue culture are harder to grow than a pup.The closer it gets to the end of the year the lower the prices should drop.I have been watching the ebay siam's and fewer people are bidding at the current price. John

• hydrojeff
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hey,
    all you guys have been extreamly helpful to me thanks for all your time, hope to talk again.Jeff

• nucci60
    16 years ago

I got one from Brian and love it.Stokes is also selling them on ebay.I know the price will drop by next year but I was "jonesin" for one. the color is amazing.Now i am waiting for the $35 AE AE(LOL)!

• hydrojeff
    Original Author
    16 years ago

allright had to break down a buy one of these cool looking plants, just enough time to start to enjoy before putting it in green house for winter, by the way bought it from Brians, everyone talks highly of him.
    Thanks again. Jeff

• jon1949
    16 years ago

Hi, I purchased a Siam from Brian that was all green. He sent me the replacement plant pictured below. I have gotten a few elephant ears that were also excellent plants. John

Here is a link that might be useful: Siam picuture

• hydrojeff
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oh how cool, i hope mine looks that good, and if that is your yard that also looks extreamly nice! by the way i did the flat rate shipping, any idea how long of a wait by chance.
    Thanks again.Jeff

• jon1949
    16 years ago

Hi Jeff,Thanks for the kind comment.Did you purchased from Brian? If yes it took a couple of weeks ( I payed with pay pal) to get mine. You may get yours quicker.Good luck.Let me know what color you get there seems to be a bit of variety in colors. John

• hydrojeff
    Original Author
    16 years ago

yes i did order from brian, and i will let you know how its color is, talk to you soon.
    Thanks again.Jeff

• hydrojeff
    Original Author
    16 years ago

John, sorry it took so long to get back to you, got my siam and the color looks as good as yours, not my yard however, but sence then also got the ae ae from stokes, siam is growing fast, not so much the ae ae, put it in full sun about 2 days ago and seems to be making a difference so far, already the first new leaf is about half way out so wish me luck, its been good talking to you again. jeff