Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan112_gw

Neem oil and bananas

dan112
16 years ago

I'm just looking ahead to the winter where I will have a couple of banana plants indoors. I was wondering if Neem oil is safe to use on bananas? I've heard very good things about its use on palm trees for scale and mites but have not really heard of it being used on bananas.

Comments (6)

• glen3a
    16 years ago

Interesting question for me as well since I intend to take my plant inside to overwinter. I might try spraying on a regular basis with neem just to ward off spider mites. Actually, I did spray my banana with neem while my plant was potted and outside for the summer. It seemed to tolerate it well. One thing though, they say depending on the type of plant, there is a possibility of damaging leaves if you use neem and the plant is in full sun in the heat of summer (not that itÂs summer now). To counteract this, I placed the plant in more of a shady spot for a few days (but still gave it some morning sun). That might not be an issue in the less intense sunny days of fall or if the plant is indoors.

Glen

• dan112
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Glen. How regularly do you usually spray the neem oil? I used to actually use a mixture of rubbing alcohol and soap for spraying but eventually I still got scale and mites so I decided to go with the neem spray this winter.

• glen3a
    16 years ago

I can't really say how often to spray for a banana plant, since I only sprayed mine once with neem the entire summer.

As for my hibiscus though, for a while I would spray it every second week. It seemed like the neem would get the bugs under control but they still would come back, but to a lesser degree. So, somehow I believe multiple applications might be more beneficial.

But, since neem is safer to use than those traditional insecticides, I really didn't mind spraying. You can buy neem concentrate at a store like Rona. It's actually advertised for use as a leaf shine. You mix a bit in a spray bottle with detergent and water and shake.

As for my banana, well we'll see what happens this winter. it's the very first winter for it. I somehow have the feeling my plant will get mites no matter what (the spot I have for it is close to a heating vent) but as long as the mites are under control I suppose all is good. I think the nice thing about neem is, in theory, it coats the leaves and is absorbed a bit into the plant, so hopefully longer lasting than soap and alcohol. I think it does wear away after a few weeks, however.

glen

• unautre
    16 years ago

Yes, neem doesn't last forever, the bugs, fungus do. So periodic application is necessary.

Look for neem concentrate, about $15, 16 oz, makes 16 gallons. Much cheaper than neem solution.

• Julia Burton
    5 years ago

Just a comment...I use Dr Bonner's peppermint soap liquid ..a teaspoon in a hand sprayer with the rest water. It kills scale and mites and will even get rid of a wasp nest if you drench it. My bananas and tropicals don't mind it. I let it dry and then rinse the next day or so.No toxicity. It is a shower product.

• Rob A
    5 years ago

Question for Julia Burton. Would a teaspoon per 16 oz. be a good ratio?