Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chinandega81

Nicaraguan Banana Plants

chinandega81
14 years ago

Hello,

I live in the Pacific lowlands of western Nicaragua, an area where banana plants are unbiquitious.

I have always grown them inside my yard, but this past year I moved to a new house and I wanted to shade my totally exposed west wall. I transplanted 6 pups at the beginning of the rainy season and they took well initially.

Unfortunately, we have been in basically a month long dry spell, unusual for this time of year, and temps in the mid to upper 90s daily with lows in the 70s. I noticed all of the banana plants have yellowing leaves or patches and some totally brown and dried out patches. They are against the wall, so the prevailing east winds do not so much as stir the leaves, and the 95 degrees in the shade must be well over 100 where the bananas are.

Last night I gave them all thorough soakings...but my question is, is this a case of sunburn combined with a lack of watering?

I have never had this problem with bananas before, even during these dry spells...but those were bananas in the yard with other plants nearby and sort of moderated conditions. So I am thinking the west wall heat oven has literally baked them. What do you all think? Will just providing more consistent and heavy waterings help them recover?

Thanks

Comments (2)

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA