Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrisofla

Cut pups...leave pups...or remove them?

terrisofla
16 years ago

I am new to bananas and am getting conflicting information regarding pups and blooming. Some of the articles I have read say the plants should be placed no closer than 8 feet apart if you want them to produce fruit. I planted two Cavendish plants about 5 months ago (8 feet apart), and they both have about 5 or 6 pups around the base of the original plant. Do I have to remove them for the plant to produce fruit? If so, can I just cut them off?

Comments (4)

• bananafan
    16 years ago

There's link here that might be helpful:

http://webebananas.com/

I heard that leaving 2-3 pups with the mother plant is ok, but not more than that. Some people suggest leaving a space of 6ft or so between each patch of bananas. As for me, I plant closer than that because of space availability and I'm wondering myself if that will affect the fruiting.

• wanna_run_faster
    16 years ago

It was a bit too hot out there this summer and I didn't get out as much as I would have liked to trim off some of the extra pups...but my ice cream mat has about 10 or 12 pups and 2 of the stalks are fruiting. No fertilizer or anything...just a nice wet and sunny spot. I ate my first one today, oh boy is it sweet and creamy! Seriously no comparison to grocery store bnanas!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    16 years ago

terri, you should view this video.

Banana Mat Management

• master_gardner_nick
    16 years ago

The corm provides the energy for the plant to grow and fruit, the less pups it has t sustain, the more it can provide the fruiting process; I always limit mine to a daughter and a grandaughter, and the rest are excised and placed in another location.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting