Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arctictropical

Pictures of tall red Absyinnian banana, zone 4

arctictropical
15 years ago

I've been amazed this year on how tall one of my Absyinnian bananas has grown. Others have been OK, but one has really sky-rocketed for some reason. The following pictures were taken a month ago. It is much taller now.

{{gwi:419273}}

{{gwi:419276}}

Comments (21)

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

That is a big mother!do you store it in winter?

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

I've been told and read here this variety doesn't produce many pups. What is your experience with them pupping?

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The big one I happened to keep upstairs in the light and heat during the winter, so it kept on growing, although it lost most of it's leaves to spider mites. When I transplanted it outside in May, it had maybe three leaves at most, but sure took off once it had full sunlight. Since I took this picture, it has grown another two feet and has a few more leaves. I've never seen any pups from these. I believe they are always grown from seed.

Kevin

• winsorw
    15 years ago

This variety doesn't produce pups.

• marene
    15 years ago

I bought one of these to use as a houseplant. Has been doing great all summer, but a few of the lower leaves turn yellow, and then brown, so I cut them off. Is this natural, or do I have a problem?

• willy1der
    15 years ago

i have one the same size and im in the same zone,its potted and I could barely move it in to the house,it takes up half my living room so what is the best way to overwinter this next year,can you bare root these in the basement like other bananas

• ladylotus
    15 years ago

I have two little ones. I'm curious how one propagates these. I would love to create a couple more from them.

~Tj~

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Willy1der, I did the same thing with the banana in the picture. Luckily, I have an A-frame house with a vaulted ceiling that is as least 30 feet high. It is a monster in my living room! It stands 10 1/2 feet high from the floor. If you wish to overwinter it in your living room, you can always cut it back to a 3-4 foot stem, and let it start over with leaves, or cut it back and store it in your basement in an unheated, unlit room and it should stay dormant until Spring. If you do this, you should only water it maybe once in the middle of winter, otherwise the roots could rot. This plant does well storing water in its stem and roots without additional watering while it is dormant. Good luck!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    15 years ago

Here's one of mine. I'm afraid it's too large to bring in this winter. The base of it is about 2.5-3 feet in diameter. It's over 10 feet tall. It's one of the focal points of our backyard.

{{gwi:419278}}

{{gwi:419280}}

photos by Boca Joe

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dave, beautiful plant! Yours must be a little more protected from the wind than mine. Yes, it looks like it's the same size as mine. Of course, yours gets warm temperatures at night and humidity, which mine does not get outside in the summer. I'm sure this helps it look so good.

Kevin

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    15 years ago

We don't get a whole lot of wind in summer, except for occasional storms. But this one is in a somewhat sheltered location. It didn't grow as much in height as I suspected it might. But it did grow a lot in girth. It's in nearly full sun.

Basjoos grew taller. Those are basjoos on the left, so-called 'Dwarf Cavendish on the right! Black Magic EEs are about 7 feet; Lime Zingers are about 5 feet.

{{gwi:419282}}

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dave, your pictures are all beautiful! My musas just won't grow very tall in my climate, so I prefer the ensete. You are a master gardener!

Kevin

• nucci60
    15 years ago

Dave, those "black magic EEs are incredible.

• thelinuxduck_gmail_com
    15 years ago

WOW i didn't know you could plant a banana that far north. i am moving to Sioux Falls in July and would love to plant one. i have been looking on the net and i cant find any other reference to it. where did you get the plant?

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Eric. I bought all of these Abysinnian banana as small 6 inch plants at a local nursery. This red variety (maurelii) cannot be propogated by seed, so they must be purchased as plants. You might ask your local nurseries if they can order these plants in for you. By the way, the plant in the first picture is now indoors. It has grown to about 15' tall now. I will replant it outdoors again in the Spring. Here is a picture I took of it today.

{{gwi:419284}}

• v1rt
    15 years ago

Kevin,

Looks really healthy. When you plant it out, do you remove them from pot? Do you stake it? How deep do you plant it?

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    15 years ago

v1rtu0s1ty, I plant them outside sometime mid May, after danger of frost is past in zone 4. Yes, I remove them from their pots, and stake them until they are established. I plant them at the same ground level as they were in their pots. They seem to get established outside without too much difficulty. I fertilized them well and water them well about once per week by sprinkler, since we don't get much rain during the summer months.

Kevin

• steve01604
    13 years ago

Hi, just bought a potted one thats about 18" tall. Was wondering how tall it could get in one season in central Mass. btw, I have great soil and sun. TIA

• Bamatufa
    13 years ago

I just purchased one this past Saturday. Tag was labeled Ensette Banana. No other info other than basic planting instructions. I am hoping it is the same varity as what you have.

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Steve, you bought one 18' tall? Wow. It should get 30 feet tall, in that case. My tallest one inside is about 22 to 25 feet tall, and is too big and tall to move outside. I chopped off all of the leaves on the other ones and transplanted them outside, but not my big one! Here's a picture I just took of it. It's a little blurry since it's at night time, but you can see the size of this thing. It could kill someone if it toppled over!

bamatufa, there are two typical varieties of ensete, the regular green variety that you can grow from seed (I have purchased them from Park seeds and planted with sucess), or the Maurelii variety which is the reddish leafed variety, and is only progagated from tissue cloning.

{{gwi:419286}}

• cheson74
    13 years ago

You can get a ton of pups from the Maurelii variety. It requires cutting the pstem all the way down. Once cut down, you hack it up. Lots of pups will pop up where the pstem used to be. Here's a link at bananas.org that explains it better than I do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ensete Maurelii creating pups