Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hueytlatoani

Gurney's Dwarf Gran Nain

hueytlatoani
16 years ago

I have been looking around online to try to identify the variety of banana being sold by Gurney's as "Dwarf Gran Nain". I have one of these, and it is now over 5 feet tall, which is larger than Gurney's claims these plants should average. Gran Nain is itself a dwarf cultivar (averaging around 8 feet tall or so)of the AAA genomic type, and this plant is also of the AAA genomic type. It is most likely a Cavendish subgroup plant, as is the Gran Nain. Does anyone have any idea what this banana cultivar is actually called? Any word on it's origin would help greatly.

Comments (2)

• hueytlatoani
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have another question about this cultivar, and it seemed a good idea to add it to this pre-existing thread.

Even if no one knows about the origin of this cultivar, has anyone here grown it before? I wonder how likely (or unlikely) it is to be able to produce fruit. That is to say, is it prone to November Dump, Chokethroat, etc. And how how is it's flavor if you've ever gotten fruit from one?
    Thanks.

• banyan
    16 years ago

I cant answer your question. The trouble with bananas is that they mutate so much, about every 50,000 suckers produce a mutation. That may not sound like much, but take say an average 10 acre smallholder plantation at 500+/acre, and 10-50 suckers per clump (depending on management), it becomes pretty obvious that there are HUGE numbers of mutations occuring over the world all the time. It is also pretty clear that the most commonly mutating cv.s will be the most grown ones, and GN is certainly in that category.

The issue then is what this plant was selected for, if it occured in a commercial plantaiton it is likely to be selected for fruit quality. Otherwise it is more likely ot be an aesthetic selection, with fruit being secondary.

Where I live the cavendish type bananas do not grow well, not producing good fruit, and sometimes not even surviving the winter. ABB types are far better for me... Having said that, the general rule is that the more 'dwarf' a form, the more susceptible it is to choke, November dump etc. Dwarf Orinoco seems to be the only exception I know of. Btw, you must be in the Southern hemisphere too to talk about November fruit, I guess the NH version is 'june dump'?

I know the South African Ag. guys were testing a super-dwarf GN a few years ago, that developed a huge excellent-formed bunch from a pseudostem rarely exceeding 1m (3 feet). I wonder if that could be what you've got? If so, you're on to a winner.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!