Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fall temps

Posted by plantman532000 z5 NcntrlPa. (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 9, 06 at 12:36

I am in zone 5 and this is the first year that I have put my banana plants outside for the summer. I was wondering at what temp I should bring them in. I know it must be before freezing, but I have read that under 50o F is not too good for them either. So what would be a good temp to bring them indoors?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fall temps

It's not neccsarily temps per se, but rather frost. Any extended temps under 50f will cause the banana to go into dormancy. It won't hurt it at all. Light frosts will nip at the leaves and cause some browness and deadness and the end of leaves. Prolong frosts will damage and kill leaves. Freezes will then kill the psuedostem. If the freeze reaches the corm in the ground, the banana is dead. I would bring them in when temps start getting to the 40 degree mark and lower at night.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here