Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new with a question about bananas

Posted by iowabannut iowa4-5 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 22, 08 at 12:40

Hello, I just signed up and have a question. I have several musa and a couple of ensete. My question is how to overwinter musa basjoo. I have two in the ground with pups and dont want to lose them. I have been told to cut them down, put a cage around them, fill cage with straw, and put a plastic bag over the cage. Will this work and is there a better thing than straw. Thanks for your input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new with a question about bananas

I have had success with simply throwing a bag full of leaves on top of the clump.

o

iowa, what's better is that you can cut down the basjoo and wrap the stalk with old dry bath towels. Pin the towels after wrapping to get them to stay on the stalk. Then get some containers or something to hold insulative stuff such as leaves or straw and put that around the towels. Finally get some plastic tarp and lay that on top to keep out rain and snow. Don't forget to use something heavy like bricks to hold down the plastic.

o

Bradleyo, Do you mean that you dump the leaves from the bag onto the clump? Or do you just put a closed bag of leaves on top of the clump?? I am confused. Also, what zone are you in? That might work for me if I am in the same zone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here