Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruit but not getting ripe

Posted by elbeardo CA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 13:39

Hi. I've posted two photos here on the link provided of my two varieties of bananas growing in my backyard here in San Pedro, CA. The fruit have been hanging there for most of the summer and now we are heading into fall and they are not ripening. Should I cut the stalks off? I've heard of people putting plastic bags over the fruit to help speed the process. Any suggestions?
here's the photo link:
http://gallery.me.com/shermalley1/100142

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruit but not getting ripe

I have the same problem here in South Florida. I tried bagging them and putting one each in the bag, a ripening plantain, and a store bought banana... no help.

Then I removed a hand from the tree and did the same thing, no help. I've made note of the size of the hands left on the tree and they continue to get larger in length and diameter so I'm leaving them alone for a while more. If they don't ripen in another month, I'll fry them like plantains :-)

PS, the ones I removed from the tree 5 weeks ago and bagged laid on my counter and did ripen nicely (without the bag) while the ones on the tree stay green and hard.

o

I was told when we started the banana's in our yard that they do not ripen on the tree, you must cut the stalk and hang inside to ripen. That is the way we have been doing it and it works great. Be aware, if you place the stalk in a plastic bag, all the banana's will ripen at the same time. We found that out the hard way. Hope this is the correct way to ripen them, but works for us.

o

I just dug up an article from a guy who sounds like he knows just about everything we should know. He shares it at:

http://webebananas.com/culture.html

In short they do ripen on the tree, after ~ 6 months. GREAT reading there.

o

Bananas do ripen on the plant.They can take anywhere from 3 to 10 months depending on your climate and time of year.You can cut some early from the bunch and place in a paper bag to ripen.If you wait for them to get ripe on the plant they will all get ripe about the same and it would be hard to eat them all before they spoil

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here