Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaves Growing out of Stem

Posted by kikonoc (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 24, 08 at 14:56

Hi,

I adopted some indoor, potted banana plants. They were kept in windowless hallway for a few months before I moved them into my office that is filled with light. They are regaining their red variegated coloring back and seem to be happy and sending out new leaves. But I've noticed on a couple of plants that some of the new emerging leaves have split the stem, and instead of growing up out of the center of a previous leaf, they took a shortcut and just broke out of the side of the plant.

Can anyone tell me what is going on? The leaves that are coming out the side are stunted and split and seem premature. Seems like they hurt themselves breaking out like that. Is this normal banana behavior? Is there anything I can do, or should I just let nature takes its course?

They're such pretty plants--I'd hate to have them shrivel up and die.

Thanks in advance,

Kiko

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaves Growing out of Stem

Can you post a picture? I am not certain what you mean exactly, but mine may be doing the same thing.

o

Hi coniferfreak. I posted a pic. Is that what your banana is doing?

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaf breaking out of stem

o

Wow that IS strange! Thanks for posting the pic. No, that is not how mine is growing.. mine is more like a brand new stem that grew from the very bottom sides of the main stem. However I know it is not a pup because it is only a single leaf and does not appear to be able to push any other new leaves from it. I just cut mine off because they started leaning outward and the wind was breaking them. These bananas sure do some strange things! lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here