Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glen3a

Not perfect conditions - is it worth trying to overwinter ensete?

glen3a
16 years ago

I have a musa ensete (Ensete ventricosum?) started from seed last March. It has been growing outside in a pot all summer. As is typical, as the summer went on the leaves and plant got larger and more impressive.

Is it worthwhile to try and overwinter it? That is, if I get the plant to overwinter will I definitely notice the difference in vigor and size next year, as opposed to starting over with a new plant from seed next spring?

The problem is, wintering outdoors definitely out of the question. As for wintering indoors, I read many sources saying to store in a cool dark spot. That may be a problem as well, since the coolest spot in the house is the basement and even then it's 63 to 68F.

I do have a window in the bedroom that gets morning sun, then moderate light the rest of the day. If I bring it inside, reduce watering, and somehow manage to fight off spider mites will this work?

I guess what I am asking is, if it comes through winter but looks scrappy with weak looking leaves (as banana plants do get in poor light) will it come back nice once I put it outside again next spring (assuming I gradually re-introduce it to better light)? Will it, in theory, just spend a lot of the winter at a stand still and not grow?

Just curious as frost is a possibility any day now and I am debating on whether it's worthwhile to save my plant. They grow fast, but I am tempted to try and save this plant so that next season it gets bigger in a faster amount of time (rather than starting over with a new plant).

Glen

Comments (5)