Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My banana plant sprouted a baby, and I need help

Posted by billybaker MA (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 5, 09 at 15:47

First, let me say that I'm a complete plant novice. The first plant I ever bought was a banana tree plant (about five years ago), and I love him to death. He's been doing very well lately, and about three weeks ago he sprouted a little baby offshoot that's now about four inches out of the soil. I'd like to move the little guy to his own pot, but I don't want to screw it up.

So:
How do I do this?
When do I do this?
Etc.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My banana plant sprouted a baby, and I need help

Congratulations! I know how it feels...my banana plant (his name is Rupert) just sprouted a pup a few weeks ago.

Other members could probably give you more detailed advice, but here's what I know: Wait until the pup is at least 1 ft. tall before you cut it off. You want it to be nice and strong, and capable of withstanding transplant. Seeing as how you're in Massachusetts, I would wait until spring or summer, when it can make a quick comeback. Second, when you go to make the cut, do it with a strong, sharp-ish, preferably sterile garden trowel. Make sure you cut at an angle into the mother plant in order to get enough roots. 30 degrees seems to be adequate. Once you've made the first cut, cut in a circle around the baby (not too close), make one final scoop, and pop him right out of the ground. It's just that easy. From there, you can plant the baby in its own pot. You may wish to keep it out of DIRECT sunlight for the first week or two, just to be safe. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here