Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
islandbreeze_gw

digging up ensete for winter storage

islandbreeze
16 years ago

How do ensetes do with the dig up and store corm method? I've read conflicting accounts of how they do having being dug up and stored. Some say you can dig them up just like bananas and some say they don't like their roots disturbed. Could anybody clear this up for me?

Comments (6)

• fglavin
    16 years ago

They are easy as pie, whatever that means. They grow new roots in the Spring, just like Musa does. I've even seen them start to grow under the house, with no light, soil, or roots!

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for clearing that up. I just don't want to kill mine. I just ordered a Maurelii and a regular ventricosum red stripe. Stokes tropicals has them half off, so I figured I'd take advantage of that and put them in the ground next spring, and dig up just like bananas next fall.
    Thanks again

• nucci60
    16 years ago

I don't know that much about storing bananas,but I think they have to have some size to them to be able to store them dormant. they need a good size corm.Try bananas .org for some good answers too.We always welcome new members.I try to carry young bananas overwinter by growing them under gro lux tubes. the maureliis love it.

• xerophyte NYC
    16 years ago

isle breeze

i think that nucci might be right, the small plants you will receive may not be large enough to survive a winter dormancy but their small stature might make them easier to manage if you want to keep them growing during the winter, and even though they may look crappy by late winter and you will have to fight off mealies and aphids, they will burst into growth once planted outside

the maurelii will easily top 8-10 ft by the end of next summer with enough water, sun and fertilizer. they are just as easy as other bananas.

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I do plan to keep them potted and growing over the winter. Any idea if they need a grow light or just natural light in front of a window? I looked into grow lux and it seems like they're kind of difficult to find. Will any other bulbs work? Any retail stores I can find them at?

• xerophyte NYC
    16 years ago

If you have at least a few hours window-sun it should be fine, otherwise plain old 48" cool-white fluorescent fixtures are good enough for plant maintenance. Remember the goal is to just keep them going slowly over winter so they are easier to manage. Come spring, the new leaves will take over those that don't look so great from the winter.