Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms_minnamouse

Black speckling

ms_minnamouse
17 years ago

All of a sudden, I noticed black speckles on my dwarf red's leaves.

These are in full sun, but lately it's been cool and not so sunny.

I could provide a pic or does anyone one know what it could be w/o one?

Comments (12)

• slfairless
    17 years ago

I have some of these too.. not sure what it is.

• sandy0225
    17 years ago

A lot of tropical plants go through a dormancy period when temps/light isn't correct for optimum growth.
    If you notice those really small black specks don't start until you start losing daylight. The plants are adjusting to less light by shutting down some of the unneeded cells to save energy.
    A guy at the conservatory in Indianapolis told me that and it made sense, because their indoor bananas even do it in response to a reduction in light levels even though they keep the temps close to the same in there all year.

• ms_minnamouse
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It has been cooling down! Thanks. Do you think I should treat them with a broad spectrum fungicide just incase before bringing them all into the house?

• slfairless
    17 years ago

Hi Sandy! You always have a plethora of banana fun facts!!! It makes complete sense, it's just strange that it's only happening to two of my eight bananas. But then they are the smallest two and I got them from the same place. I figure it can't be too harmful because they are still putting out new leaves :)

• sandy0225
    17 years ago

I haven't noticed that it hurts them any. But you just don't see that speckling until the day length starts changing usually, or really dark weather. And if you bring them inside and put them under a big HID light for long day periods again, it goes away. Not that you have to do that to them. I just noticed that it happens to go away again.
    If you're bringing your bananas indoors to store them dormant, it doesn't hurt to spray them with a fungicide and let it dry thoroughly before storing them. If you're just bringing them indoors potted into heated living areas to grow as houseplants, that wouldn't be necessary-and maybe not good for your family, depending on what kind of fungicide you use.

• slfairless
    17 years ago

I'll be growing them as house plants... trying at least. Do I need grow lights to grow thme indoors over the winter?
    Thanks! :)

• sandy0225
    17 years ago

It depends on what look you're trying for. If you want them to look like they looked outside, definitely you'd need lights unless you have the biggest brightest south window exposure. If you just want to keep them alive, fairly decent looking and have them available to put out in the spring, just put them in the brightest window you have available and be careful not to overwater. Watch for spider mites.

• slfairless
    17 years ago

Thanks!

• ms_minnamouse
    Original Author
    17 years ago

They always start looking ratty with brown leaves indoors but that just makes me think of how good they'll look come growing season!

• sandy0225
    17 years ago

If they start getting brown around the edges because they need more humidity, just trim off those parts with scissors. It doesn't seem to hurt them any at all, but it sure makes them look better.

• pyratejim
    17 years ago

I just brought my 5' muso basjoo indoors as the last couple of days have seen highs in the upper 60's to low 70's but nights have been hitting the mid 40's. Tuesday afternoon found the leaves wilting and drying up. Brought her indoors adn within 24 hours she perked up some and then I noticed the black specks as well. At least now I dont have to worry about them. Just having a real bad time with brown, dried and dead spots throguh the leaves, the edges on some and the tips. Usually occuring within 2 days of the leaf fully opening.

• ms_minnamouse
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I know but my house doesn't have the kind of humidity they need, even with misting and humidity trays. I'm just stuck with the brown leaves until spring.

It makes me wonder how people use bananas as house plants.

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area