Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Musa Basjoo with multiple flowers

Posted by laterita 7b Holland (dr) (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 13, 10 at 17:08

I have a Musa Basjoo "Shakhalin" in my garden. It's about 4 1/2 years old now.
In the winter I had it in a glasshous, just above 5C to stop it from growing. When I gave water a few weeks before re-planting outside, the trunk became thicker.
But nothing else happened. I expected it to create some leaves, but instead of that, the trunk split open. It was starting flowering, just after winter, so no leaves, just a flower.
A small pup emerged from the side and started to shoot leaves.
The flower came out of the side of the trunk, but:
Instead of one flower, there were at least 9 (!) extra flowers!
So one large flower in the middle, and others at the places where you expect a hand of bananas!
Two of the flowers broke when the racime emerged, but the rest came out, although they were very small. In every flower you could see the bananas. It has a full bunch of bananas in every flower.

Has anyone seen such a thing with a basjoo?
Has anyone an explanation why this happened?
Greetings from Holland,
Simon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Musa Basjoo with multiple flowers

Hi Simon,
I have heard of and have seen where the flower can break thru the trunk of the tree. IS that what happened to your basjoo? It's really sad because it is lethal. I assume this is what your talking about? As for the rest, I cannot comment except for I think it is great that you had so many blooms.
Andrew

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here