Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stanc_gw

How to dig out your bannana plant for storage in the basement

stanc
14 years ago

I have a red leaf bannnana plant that was planted in the ground in mid april,well how it's 12 feet tall and the time is coming to start thinking about digging it out.

How do you do this and what size pot should it be replanted in?

Stanc

Comments (6)

• arctictropical
    14 years ago

I'm not sure what kind of red-leaf banana you have, but if it is Ensete, I have had success by transplanting them into 15 gallon pots, and cutting them off to a 3 or 4 foot stump. If your basement storage area is unlit and unheated, it should stay in a dormant condition until Spring. Don't water it accept maybe once or twice throughout the entire winter.... just enough to keep the roots from totally drying out, but if it gets too much water, the roots could rot. You may want to try carefully washing the dirt off the roots and use peat moss or potting soil with lots of perlite, to give the soil plenty of air and drainage. Good luck!

Kevin

• jpdame
    14 years ago

I have several varieties of banana palms in my backyard here in Raleigh, NC. Once we get a freeze or they wilt due to the cold I then stump the palms down to 4 inch's off the ground and heavy mulch 6+ inches. They come back every year larger and more beautiful. The same goes for my elephant ears.

A couple of years ago I was digging up the plants and storing them under the house, busting my back in the process...until I saw a 14+ foot banana palm in Louisville, Ky at a nursery and they told me what I should do.

It works.

• sandy0225
    14 years ago

pop it out with a shovel, then stuff it into the smallest pot it'll fit in. pack a little potting soil in around it and put it in the basement. Check it from time to time to make sure it's not getting too dry or too wet. I water mine about 5-6 times over the winter, never very much at a time. a cup or two.

• kasha77
    14 years ago

jpdame-
    What varieties do you have? I live in Mooresville, nc & have a Chinese yellow & a dwarf red Cavendish- I wonder if it would work for the Cavendish- I don't relish taking it in either,
    Kasha77

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    14 years ago

Not sure what you mean by 'red' banana. Rojos are somewhat difficult to winter over. They seem to need warmer temps, some light and lots of attention to the potting soil - that it's not too wet or too dry. Red Abbys on the other hand are quite easy. You can cut them to a stump and keep rather dry in little light. And I've not had any experience wintering Red Dwarf Jamaicans.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

I have my dwarf banana in a 5 gallon pot. It's an awesome plant! I got in on a trade off here with someone about 2 and 1/2 months ago. Then, it was only this big bukly root looking thing with a tiny 2-3 inch long leaf coming out of it half green. Now, it's about 2 feet tall and has many huge leaves. Is it safe to overwinter it in my basement? I live in zone 6b/Middle TN. I have already accustomed it to shade for about 2 weeks & plan on moving it in there this weekend probably. Any pointers on basement dormancy for it? I don't want it to die down there. I saw the post above about only watering maybe once or twice. Anything else I need to do? I plan on just leaving it in the container down there. Is that ok? Also, when Spring comes, how can I tell when a safe time to put it up would be? Thanks! - Steve

Pic of it about a month ago:
    {{gwi:420325}}