Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gulfcoastmama

Banana not growing as expected - fertilizer issue?

gulfcoastmama
14 years ago

We have several bananas (I don't know the Latin name, but they are Red Abyssinian type) that we put in the ground about four months ago. They are well sited, in full sun, get lots of rain/watering (we live in a semi-tropical place, Mississippi Gulf Coast). Many neighbors have bananas that gain as much as 4 or 5 feet in height during a growing season.

Mine are not doing that. In fact, with the exception of some very large and healthy leaves, they have not gained in height at all. What could cause such growth of the foliage but no height gain? I have seen the neighbor's bananas shoot up in height pretty dramatically during this time (although theirs is a different variety, not red).

I have fertilized twice during this time with an ordinary garden fertilizer. Is there something else I should be doing? And does anyone know why they are not growing? thank you.

Comments (3)

• struwwelpeter
    14 years ago

Under full sunlight, ensete ventricosum 'Maurelli', tends to grow compactly, especially, if rootbound. If you had planted in soil and fertilizer conducive to prolific root growth, the leaf growth would be less compact.

You can make it grow more spindly by applying a very small amount of gibberellic acid (GA). There is a convenient method of application. Just pour about 2 tbs. of solution, containing a speck (maybe 0.01 g) of GA, into the opening at the top of a leaf furl that has just begun to open. You should see results on the next leaf to emerge. There is a danger that, if you use too much, the new growth will topple in the wind. Thus, it is better to err on the side of using too little.

• gulfcoastmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, thank you for such a specific answer! I suspect you are correct and that the problem lies in our soil being a bit hard in that place. I have never heard of that stuff, but will head over tomorrow to the garden center to find out! Thanks also for the name - yes, that is the exact plant that I have, the Maurelli.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting