Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lap_h

Source for 'Hawaiian' apple banana ...

lap_h
14 years ago

Hi all ,

We went to Big Island, Kauai and fall in love with the super sweet local apple bananas. Would you recommend a source for these apple bananas?

It seems like people also call some bananas from Asia or S. America as "apple bananas" and it get us a little confused/not so sure how to get the apple bananas from Hawaii ?!

Thank you very much.

David/ Texas

Comments (13)

• Sandra Tran
    14 years ago

I was just looking on line for a source for apple banana plants. Apparently you can get them from nurseries in Florida. I found this one and was wondering if they are reputable. Would also love some information on nurseries in Southern CA if any.

http://www.bananaplants.net/bananaplants.html

Thanks!

Sandra
    Dana Point, CA - zone 9b

• rmplmnz
    14 years ago

This is actually a very common banana known in Florida as Brazilian or Dwarf Brazilian...I would recommend the Dwarf as it still gets 10 to 12 feet tall and the fruit is identical.

• Sandra Tran
    14 years ago

I've read somewhere that the 'Florida' apple banana (manzano) is a completely different species than the 'Hawaiian' apple banana (Brazilian). Is that true? If so, what is the difference?

Any thoughts on the 'ice cream' variety too?

Does anybody know of a good source for Southern CA (south Orange Co./north San Diego) for both?

Sorry David, don't mean to side track your post... :)

Sandra
    Dana Point, CA
    Zone 9b

• home_grower
    14 years ago

I picked up an Ice Cream banana tree at a Home Depot in Van Nuys a couple months ago.

Chris

• Sandra Tran
    14 years ago

Thanks homegrower for that information. I'm surprised that the big box stores would have such plant. I would have thought that were some sort of specialty plants and would have to order them on line from specialty banana nurseries. I went to the HD by my house and they had a couple of Ensete Maurelli and a Dwarf Cavendish. Again, I was surprised to see those too. Guess I have lots more to learn about bananas. :)

I'll keep my eye open for the Ice Cream.

Thank you and have a great day!

Sandra

• home_grower
    14 years ago

Sandra, I think they only have them for a short time each year and when they do have them the sell quick. I was suprised they would grow here. When I saw one I made my next stop to this site to learn more. Then I had to go around to 5 HD to find one that still had them.

On a positive note I was watering my banana tree a little while ago and saw I have my first pup. It's about 5 inches and wasn't there a few days ago.

Chris

• Sandra Tran
    14 years ago

OMG! A couple of months ago and you already have a pup? That's awfully fast! I'm afraid that it may be the end of the season and they don't really have much left. I might have to have them special order it for me. I'm not giving up though. My goal is to have Apple and Ice Cream banana plants for next year. I would love to see your banana plant and the pup if you get the chance to post. And please let me know if you get some 'sightings' of said plant. lol

Have a great day!

Sandra

• home_grower
    14 years ago

Sorry I am not home tonight. Posting fom my blackberry so I hope it works. I have a couple pics on my website. www.tophersworld.com click on hobbies then gardening. It is on the berries and tropicals page.

• Sandra Tran
    14 years ago

Hi Chris,

You've done a fantastic job on your yard! All the plants look great and what an awesome harvest! yum!!! I saw the ice cream banana tree but didn't see the pup. Surprising though that it would have one at that size. I'll be posting pics of my yard sometime soon and let you know where it is.

I grow mostly for hummingbirds (salvias, cuphea, lobelias,...) but getting into edible fruits. I have about 54 papaya seedlings growing from fruits purchased at the grocery store, a pithaya plant and a couple of dwarf lemon seedlings. I want to add bananas, peaches and plums for now. Maybe an apple.

Again, great job on your yard and keep us posted on how things are growing. :)

Sandra

• home_grower
    14 years ago

Thanks Sandra for the kind words. I was away on business last week so I wasn't able to take a picture of the pup until today. It looks like it's about 6 or 7 inches now.

{{gwi:420378}}

• Sandra Tran
    14 years ago

Oh, that is way cool!!! It should grow really fast. Can't wait to hear you posting about your fruits. Beware that a corm (learned this term in the forum lol!) will yield about 90 bananas each. Get ready to eat a lot of bananas!

Btw, I forgot to mention that I also have 6 pineapple plants growing from pineapples we've eaten from stores. I'm planning on clearing some room in the slope for a pineapple patch. :)

Have a great weekend!

Sandra

• home_grower
    14 years ago

I have one pineapple in the same spot as the banana and will be placing a second one in the next couple of days.

I was married in Oahu 1 1/2 years ago and like the banana you are seeking there is nothing like the taste of a Hawaiian pineapple. They are hard to find since most are from Costa Rica or Mexico and neither are as sweet and are more acidic than a Hawaiian ones. We went to a Fillipino supermarket today and I picked thru their pineapples and found a Maui one. We had it for dinner and it sure tasted good, just like the ones in Hawaii. I plan on planting it in the morning.

Chris

• Sandra Tran
    14 years ago

Yep, Maui Gold is like nothing else. I did some reading about growing pineapples and here's one way to do it. Twist the top off and cut off any fruit remaining. Pull off the lower leaves and put the crown in water for a week or so. After you see the roots take off, plant it in soil.

I've just gotten into planting pitahayas (dragon fruit). You should check it out since we have the weather for it. :)

Good luck with the pineapple!

Sandra

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths