Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chena_gw

Anyone have anything New?

chena
17 years ago

Hey!!

I am waiting on the arrival of a Sikkimensis and a rubinea .. It is a gift from my children.. I can hardly wait!

Does anyone else have anything new they have recieved? Or want???

Blessings

Chena

Comments (11)

• mrbungalow
    17 years ago

I have tried Musa "helens hybrid" this year. Extraordinary beautiful and fast growing banana. Regular sikkimensis has grown huge this year. In Norway, Himalayan type bananas are the only way to go!

I am trying Musa Formosona, Musa NagensiumX and Musa Nagensium "True form" from seed now. Some NagensiumX have allready sprouted. Can hardly wait for next season.

Wanted: Musa Ingens, but don't we all....

• susan51
    17 years ago

Hello,
    I have never posted here before but I just bought 3 new banana plants... I have had one for about 3 years that my brother in law gave from out in his yard... These looked really pretty... One is a Super Dwarf Banana Plant, the next is a blood leaf Banana Plant Musa Zebrina sumantrana and the last one is a Dwaft Jamaican Red Banana plant Musa.
    These all looked so pretty... I could use any help any one would want to send my way... Like how big of a pot to put them into once they get here.... Type of soil, etc.... Well thank you for your help
    Susan,Va

• chena
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Susan.. sounds like you are getting a good start... Most of the time they come with instructions.. I just start with a 6'-8' pot with a good drain hole an all purpose soil mixture (20% coarse sand or pearlite) water it in and wait for some new growth..You'll be amazed at how fast they can take off

Hey MrBungalow.. I have some Nagensium Florale Noire seed.. I'm getting ready to start.. How long did it take for your to germinate? What method did you use? I also have some Yunnan and Musella seed I'd like to try. I haven't started any from seed before..
    Chena

• dilbert
    17 years ago

This is my second year with Ensete Superbum. It has a very different morphology from others. It sort of resembles a huge bromeliad, agave or birdsnest fern. It is relatively rigid and tolerates wind very well, not one leaf split.

• mrbungalow
    17 years ago

Chena, you have a good time to look forward to! NagensiumX (wich I am pretty sure is Florale Noire) sprouted after 2 weeks!!! Not kidding! All I did was alternate temps. The seedlings are not big, but growing day by day. I am still waiting for my True Nagensium. (There must be atleast 3 different types of Nagensium seeds on the market...)

Susan 51, All your bananas are tender types. You should go for some cold-hardy bananas living in VA. Like Basjoo or himalayan type banans. Just as pretty, some even more pretty in my opinion. Stick em in the ground next spring, pour on fertilizer and water, stand back, and leave them there. Bananas don't like pots!

• susan51
    17 years ago

I was going to plant all three in pots??? I bring mine from outside in every winter... Next year I am leaving it out for it makes it at my brother in laws home should in ours also... we are not far from each other...
    Now about these being tender types I dont mean to sound stupid but why are they tender??? How do you know if they are strong instead of tender????
    THanks for any help..
    Susan,Va

• chena
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Susan!!!
    By Tender they are talking about being winter hardy.. Some are more temprate than other depending on where you live. I'm a 7bish some of what I have are not winter hardy( or I've not proven to myself they are..LOL)some yeah I leave them out and mulch mulch mulch!!! The ones you have I would take in..
    Chena

• dirtynails_z7ms
    17 years ago

hey chena, i noticed you had asked bout posting pics in other discussions and in the seed exch. conversations countrygirl_sc says to go to her web page www.upstaterose.com and she has step by step info on how to do it. hope this helps.
    darlene

• chena
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Darlene ..Thanks I'll give it another try..
    Chena

• gardenguy_
    17 years ago

Lately I haven't got anything new but I want an AE-AE banana. I love the colors on that thing!

• chena
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yea!!!!! My package arrive yesterday and I recieved two healthy specimens... DH was soooo thrilled...LOL.. MORE BANANAS???
    Chena

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz