Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jewelbaby1224

Bananas in Conroe, Woodlands, Houston Area???

jewelbaby1224
17 years ago

Hi,

I'm new to growing bananas. I'm in the Conroe, TX area N of Houston. Is there anyone in our area that has pointers for a banana newby????

My house came with a thick 40+ year old mat of bananas. We fed, mulched and divided in May. Got our 1st bloom (YEY) had fruit drop after 2 hands formed. Have 3 nanners left 6" long. Unidentified bananas up to 14 ft high.

IS it possible to collect and grow fruit here???

Comments (9)

• slfairless
    17 years ago

Wow, I'd love to see some pictures! It's definitely possible to fruit them. If the bananas are really 40+ years old then make sure to give them plenty of water and fertilizer and you should have more bananas then you know what to do with!

• houstonpat
    17 years ago

Yes it is quite possible to raise good bananas in Conroe. However, I've found that most old clumps of bananas found in landscaping aren't especially good eating. If you are really interested in growing bananas for both looks and eating I have had good luck with Raja Puri. It is fairly cold hardy, wind resistant, 8-10ft and fine eating. Protecting your plants from frost will dramatically increase your production. This is more easily done with dwarf cultivars.

• kellykay
    17 years ago

I am in Kingwood east of conroe. I too would like to grow bananas for eating. Ive heard white flies like banana trees. I already having a time controlling them on my hibicus. Has anyone heard that thats a problem?

• jewelbaby1224
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, I really want to keep this one on bananas going!! We thinned and transplanted our old mat. With watering and a heavy mulch of "Black Cow" we had 2 fruit blooms! Due to lack of proper support the fruit didn't mature fully - but this year we'll have the supports ready.

Since I want to learn to grow fruit here in Conroe zone 8b - these have been recommended to me - California Gold regular fruit bearer. Dwarf Orinoco. Raja Puri fairly cold hardy, wind resistant, 8-10ft and fine eating.

These sound great but where to find them???

• funsocaltiger
    16 years ago

If you want to buy bananas online I recommend GreenEarth though there are a ton of other sites with decent reputations also.
    http://bananaplants.net/bananaplants.html

Raja Puri is relatively common, you may be able to find that locally at HD or Lowes. They are all over the place here in SoCal this year. Pretty much the only banana you can easily find here right now. Even Kmart or Walmart may have them.

California Gold is relatively rare and hard to obtain. Do a search here for the threads about CG.

Laurence

• jewelbaby1224
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey thanks Lawrence. Where are you in S Cal? I'm from Ventura.

• funsocaltiger
    16 years ago

Oh cool, I used to work in Ventura for a few years. My family moved to Diamond Bar (near Pomona) in 1986, then I went to UCSB and stayed in SB/Goleta/Ventura area for a while. Now I'm in the Inland Empire by Corona but I work out in El Segundo (Manhattan Beach/LAX area).

Laurence

• jtcitrus
    15 years ago

Keep it warm, keep it humid, keep it composted, but...
    If you're growing bananas in the greater houston area primarily in hopes of the fruit, and not primarily because you love the looks of the plant, then you're spending a lot of time and energy getting relatively little output. Using similar real-estate and effort you could get a lot more fruit from other plants.

Check out this web page for some of the best choices. Best of luck with the Bananas though!

Here is a link that might be useful: Successful fruit varieties for the Houston area: A guide to selection, planting and care of fruit trees and plants

• jewelbaby1224
    Original Author
    15 years ago

JT, thanks for your input (Thanks everyone!). Actually I love the tropical look of the trees. Fruit is a plus. Due to the mild winters of late, heavy mulching and water this year I managed to harvest 3 times. Fruit varied in quality was quite edible.

Along w/ my old nanners I now have Mona Lisa, Dwf Orinoco and Pisang. I am collecting them.

Thank you for the weblink, I am determined to grow whatever I can here.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor