Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Banana tree cutting?

Posted by Desirai 7B/8A (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 19:13

Tell me about banana trees. At my new apartment complex, they have banana trees in the landscaping. However they don't seem to be fruiting. Not sure what the conditions have to be for a banana plant to fruit. I haven't lived here during winter yet, so I'm not sure what happens to them during our winter. It is zone 8A. (Also if it means anything, the past 3 years our winters have been "9A winters" according to some of my gardening buddies who know a lot more than I do)

Anyway ...... is there mayhaps a possibility I could somehow get a cutting off the plant and root it? how would I go about doing this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Banana tree cutting?

First you better ask permission before you take a pup, some people get real angry if you mess with there plants.Some bananas can take many years before they will fruit & some never fruit.

o

Most banana take atleast a year or 2 to bloom, then they die!
Some take years, some have never been seen, but they all bloom, 99% make fruit after, but it's often inedible!

What you need is a pup!
Naners grow from a corm, it'll be down several inches in the soil, the pups come from there, and emerge near the base of the plant, some grow runners several feet away!
Your pup needs to have corm attached to it!
I'd ask the landlords about it, if it's their plants they probably won't mind sharing!

o

Hey all!!! I was collecting banana leaves off of the trees to feed to my caterpillar I found which according to the internet loves banana leaves.

I tugged on a small leaf and POP! Out came a healthy banana pup!!! It has 3 banana leaves and a root looking thing with some long scraggly roots attached to it.

So now that I have a banana pup ..... how do I care for it properly? :)

o

• Posted by rednofl 9b Goldenrod Fl hz (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 17:50

Put it in a pot with some well draining soil or compost preferably, find a warm sunny spot and keep it moist but not wet. Keep it there till it puts out a new leaf or 2 ,,, at that point it is ready for full sun in ground or in a pot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here