Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffb_fairwood

Musa Ae Ae indoors?

jeffb_fairwood
15 years ago

I just got a pretty good deal on a musa ae ae, and I'm wondering how it will do indoors in a well-lit area. I hope to keep it potted in the lobby of my office, which is almost all glass with lots of bright light. I also understand it enjoys acidic soil. Any advice on keeping it alive will be appreciated.

Comments (3)

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

Just curious,did you buy it off e-bay?

• lac1361
    15 years ago

I have personally seen Ae Ae grown in very large containers that have bloomed and produced fruit in a large greenhouse. Your main challenge will be to keep the humidity high. They can get rather tall, up to 15 feet. With an additional 3 feet of pot height, you will need a very high ceiling in your office.

Steve

• jeffb_fairwood
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thx for the responses. Yes, I bought it from a reputable dealer I buy from regularly. The lobby is an open two-story glassed enclosure, perfect for growing some of my favorite tropicals. I have a cool boss who likes the way I green up the office with my plants (I'm currently growing a queen palm, several philos, a bird's nest fern and a dwarf cavendish there). I definitely will keep an eye on the humidity, particularly in winter. If it doesn't work out indoors, I will move it back home near my hot tub and only bring it in when temps approach freezing. I knew this was going to be a risky buy, but half the fun of growing is trying to stretch the odds.