Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
winterizing

Posted by dansdelight (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 28, 09 at 20:57

By mistake I bought a non hardy banana plant. I live in zone 5 6 border. How can I winterize a ground planted banana plant.
Can I build a pvc green house around it and also bury warming cables in the ground to keep it above freezing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: winterizing

I think about a foot of mulch and a tarp should be good enough. Or you can dig them up, cut the roots back to about a foot away from the trunk, cut the leaves off, and bring the stalk into a cool (not cold) dark room till spring. Alot of people living in cold zones do this and some eventually get fruit but most defiantely get a big banana plant in about 3-4 years from pup.

Good luck

o

My dwarf cavindish plants have been killed the last to winters by Frost and or freeze. I have purchased two
78" x 60" x 60" Planthouse Clear Greenhouses from Home
Depot. My Question is how much can I cut back or prune off of my plants before I set the tent over them. I live in North Port Fl. Zone 9a. The banana plants are in three groups two of which i will cover. 7 or 8 plants/group
stalks vary from 2 to 4 feet high. I was told that my plants would not fruit until I had a bunch of seven or more growing. That is why I have not thinned the smaller ones out. I would upload a picture but do not know how to.
Thanks

o

I have a customer in Indianapolis--she said she couldn't remember if she had a hardy banana or not but one had red leaves (def. not hardy) and one had green leaves. She protected by piling a big pile of bags of leaves over the top after cutting them back. She said she put like 40 bags of leaves in a big mountain over them and they survived and came back this year, and so did her cannas that were planted with them.
Or you could dig it up and bring it in for the winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here