Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What I was told about my dwarf banana--

Posted by organic_flutterby (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 19, 08 at 23:12

I have been reading here about winterizing dwarf bananas, but was still a little confused so I asked the nursery where I bought it. They told me that bananas need to be inside in a warm sunny area in a 22-24 inch pot, that I should prune out the suckers, leaving only 1 or 2 and that I should continue to water and fertilize.

I live in Missouri. My banana tree is new this spring and I would say it is about 3 ft tall, maybe. It is in a 5 gallon container. It has 3 pups growing with it. I have recently brought it inside as the temperatures have dropped into the 50s overnight. It is in a warm sunny area right now. This seems contradictory to what I've read here.

Please advise, should I leave it in a warm sunny area and continue to fertilize, et c. or should I put it in my unheated garage without light, or what should I do with it?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What I was told about my dwarf banana--

If you have room inside then by all means, let it keep growing, even if it is a cold hardy type(M.basjoo), you'll get a jump start for next spring.
The people at the nursery may have been telling you to divide the pups from the mother so you'll have a better chance at getting it to fruit in a large pot.

o

Go to winterizing bananas-Illinois. It tells you exactly what to do with your dwarf as I have one too, except mine is on it's 17th leaf. But I plan to listen to them. My nursery told me to leave it outside, the banana tree would die along with the pups. they never mentioned covering up, just leave it out in the open. The Carolinas can get frigid, as last year it went down to 11 degrees. Read what these growers say and follow their instructions.

o

Thank you for the help.

tropicallvr--While I love the idea of getting a jumpstart on spring, I really don't have room to keep it in the sunny spot it is in now. I am afraid the leaves will get broken et c. My only spot is the unheated garage.

cponak--I have posted a question to the winterizing banans-Illinois thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here