Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what kind of banana is this?

Posted by ericthehurdler 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 26, 10 at 0:21

I took some seeds from some bananas i found on a tree at my friends house. i got them to germinate and only one survived but its doing great. I was almost certain that bananas could not grow in northern california but i guess this is a more cold hardy plant.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what kind of banana is this?

I am going to guess that it is Basjoo. There are a lot of different kinds of bananas but only a few widely available from nurseries. If your friend were a collector of strange plants far and wide who knows what kind it is. But if they likely bought it at a local nursery, then it will be one of three likely. Blood leaf, Dwarf Cavendish or Basjoo. By color it's not Blood leaf. DC and Basjoo can look similar but have tell-tales. The DC can have splotches on the top of the leaf when young. It also tends to have a redish stalk and it is edible meaning you should not have found a seed in the banana. Basjoo is an entirely green leaf but can have a hint of red on the leaf mid-rib. It's stalk should be green. It is cold hardy and ornamental so if you did take a banana you could have gotten a seed. Also, DC=red/pink flower and Basjoo=yellow flower. You wouldn't want to risk your only plant but if you test and find out it is Basjoo/cold hardy we can keep them in the ground here in 6a in KS.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here