Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flower Soon?

Posted by inulover 9A (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 7, 11 at 1:12

I inherited a banana when we moved to Florida last spring. I have fertilized it regularly and gave it plenty of water. It rewarded me by making it to about 6 feet tall. I am guessing that it is a dwarf Cavendish from the height but I really have no idea.

The last leaf took forever to unfurl, and it is sticking straight up rather than laying out flat. Is this the flag before flowering that I have heard of? If so and assuming that it is a dwarf Cavendish, how long to flower, and how long to develop the fruit.

Larry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flower Soon?

Try to share a picture.
It very well could be.
Should take up to 4 weeks to grow the flower and the bananas.
Make sure to water well and lots of sunlight, it does grow out rather quickly.

o

I've never figured out inline photos, so this is a link to a picture of the plant - http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g465/baithog/Yard/

The leaf on the right is normally much flatter but the wind is kicking up to about 20mph.

Its been getting a citrus fertilizer monthly and foliar spray weekly. Water hasn't been a real problem so far, but we are heading into a drier part of the year. I just hope I get fruit before it cools off too much, as you can see, bringing it into the house is not an option

o

I think this will work

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here