Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Banana tree flowering?

Posted by pajonk Poland (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 7, 06 at 7:04

hello
I live in poland so the weather conditions are not very good for growing banana trees:) but i do what i can to make my banana grow good. i have it indoors right next to the window (southern side - plenty of sun) it`s 1,5 meter high in a 60cm pot. it`s about 3-4years old now. my question is - is there any chance for my banana to flower? what can i do to help my tree to produce flowers? the plant looks ok - it`s very green and healthy. please give me some advice. thank u for help! cheers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Banana tree flowering?

pajonk, I live in the same growing zone that you do, which happens to be zone 6. So your plant is almost 5 feet tall. I grow mine in the ground. Do you have enough space to do that in your yard? From what I've seen it's very difficult to get bananas to fruit in a pot. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but it's hard and takes a long time. Just putting it in a window may not do the trick. What I suggest is that if you have the yard space, plant your banana in the ground outside. Just before the first frost comes, dig it up, remove the leaves but keep the unfurled leaf on the plant. Store the banana plant in a cool (not freezing) dark place until next spring. No water or light what so ever. Plant them in the spring and the bananas will get MUCH taller than in a pot. My bananas are now about 12 feet high! pajonk, read this thread here that I created about my banana growing experience this summer. I started them outside in the spring, one was overwintered outside as well.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/banana/msg0423500118531.html?12563

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here