Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffmont

Growing Indoors?- Water falling from Leaves

jeffmont
18 years ago

Is there any way to stop or at least minimize the moisture and drops of water falling from the leaves of my banana plants when I bring them indoors? My wife would kill me if I ruined my hardwood floors.

Comments (9)

• pitangadiego
    18 years ago

I have forgotten the technical term for it, but as I recall it is a way to eliminate excess moisture, and might be reduced by less watering. You could put a plastic drop cloth under it or get a new wife as alternative solutions,

• unautre
    18 years ago

darn wives, always concerned about how things look!! :)

This probably won't pass wife inspection, but what about one of those transparent, rigid vinyl rug protectors placed under desk chairs? Try to find one for non-carpet floors, without the anti-skid cleats.

• dirt_dew
    18 years ago

Or a very thin clear plastic drop cloth used for painting and available at your local 99¢ store. You can cut it with scissors just past the drip line.
    If you ask your wife to pick one up for you, then she is part of the solution AND gets to go shopping! She might even do the cutting IF you ask her real nice to help you. You should do the "heavy" lifting though.

• WannaBGardener
    18 years ago

I take it by the replies that there is no way to stop the plant from crying? If it dripped all over my floor the plant wouldn't be the only thing "crying" :-) Just sign me---A Wife

• Fori
    18 years ago

OK...so it's not just me having a sloppy plant. Good to know! (And glad I put waterproof flooring in! I like it better everytime I spill.)

• sandy0225
    18 years ago

How about a nice rug, in a color to match your decor...with a plastic drop cloth underneath? Everyone's happy.
    P.s. give your wife the dimensions of the rug you need and the $, and maybe ask her real nicely to pick up that drop cloth too. Do this while eating dinner at Outback, and I know it'd work with me....

• sfhellwig
    18 years ago

To ultimately answer your questions, no, it does not appear that you can just make it stop. Less watering could slow it but it would probably hurt the plant more than help the situation. I have an anthurium that also does this, it is a natural part of certain plants. Water goes in, water comes out. I understand about the floors but its one or the other. I personally would choose to keep the bananas and wipe the floor 2-3 times a day. If you've got enough water that its really dripping to the point of concern I would expect it to lay off for the winter, especially since you will be watering it less for the slow growing period.

• meanhorse
    18 years ago

Hi,
    Last winter my banana dripped water but not all that much. I think you could put a rug around it and be ok.
    Jim

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting