Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Indoors?- Water falling from Leaves

Posted by JeffMont Z6 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 9, 05 at 8:27

Is there any way to stop or at least minimize the moisture and drops of water falling from the leaves of my banana plants when I bring them indoors? My wife would kill me if I ruined my hardwood floors.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Indoors?- Water falling from Leaves

I have forgotten the technical term for it, but as I recall it is a way to eliminate excess moisture, and might be reduced by less watering. You could put a plastic drop cloth under it or get a new wife as alternative solutions,

o

darn wives, always concerned about how things look!! :)

This probably won't pass wife inspection, but what about one of those transparent, rigid vinyl rug protectors placed under desk chairs? Try to find one for non-carpet floors, without the anti-skid cleats.

o

Or a very thin clear plastic drop cloth used for painting and available at your local 99 store. You can cut it with scissors just past the drip line.
If you ask your wife to pick one up for you, then she is part of the solution AND gets to go shopping! She might even do the cutting IF you ask her real nice to help you. You should do the "heavy" lifting though.

o

I take it by the replies that there is no way to stop the plant from crying? If it dripped all over my floor the plant wouldn't be the only thing "crying" :-) Just sign me---A Wife

o

• Posted by Fori Detroit, MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 11, 05 at 8:59

OK...so it's not just me having a sloppy plant. Good to know! (And glad I put waterproof flooring in! I like it better everytime I spill.)

o

How about a nice rug, in a color to match your decor...with a plastic drop cloth underneath? Everyone's happy.
P.s. give your wife the dimensions of the rug you need and the $, and maybe ask her real nicely to pick up that drop cloth too. Do this while eating dinner at Outback, and I know it'd work with me....

o

To ultimately answer your questions, no, it does not appear that you can just make it stop. Less watering could slow it but it would probably hurt the plant more than help the situation. I have an anthurium that also does this, it is a natural part of certain plants. Water goes in, water comes out. I understand about the floors but its one or the other. I personally would choose to keep the bananas and wipe the floor 2-3 times a day. If you've got enough water that its really dripping to the point of concern I would expect it to lay off for the winter, especially since you will be watering it less for the slow growing period.

o

Hi,
Last winter my banana dripped water but not all that much. I think you could put a rug around it and be ok.
Jim

o

The technical term: guttation.
Is happens with high environment humidity or low transpiration. So decrease the humidity (or increase an air flow) and it will stop, or heat up your house. Its a methode for the plant to keep the liquid flow into its veins. The exess of water will be exuded at the leaftip or edge. Its nothing to worry about. (My wife doesn't like it either)
Simon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here