Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnsaunt

Pup without roots

Virginia
14 years ago

In trying to get some banana pups out of a very congested pot, I sliced off some that had no roots. Will they root in water?

Ginny

Comments (11)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    14 years ago

Nope. You've got to get either roots, or part of the corm that can generate roots.

• Virginia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Drat! I guess I'll just keep it in a vase and admire it awhile before it heads to the composter.

Ginny

• jimhardy
    14 years ago

Ginny
    Sometimes they will root if you leave them in water long enough,you might also try some root hormone around the very bottom

• sfhellwig
    14 years ago

My suggestion would be to try it in soil, not water. While you can root lots of cuttings in water a banana is not like that. IF their is any corm that will generate roots it needs to breathe. Especially if there is a wound where it was separated this needs to dry out so it doesn't start to rot. Bananas especially don't like their feet too wet so I just image trying to root a pup in water is not likely going to work. If you do try it, let us know how it goes.

• jimhardy
    14 years ago

I did get one of my pups to root in water,the water kept the top alive while it grew it's one tiny root.It will help to remove any outer layers of dead plant material.Putting it in soil can cause it to die sooner because it doesn't have access to enough water from soil,in either case it's a long shot if there isn't some kind of root capability at the base-Good luck!!!

• HU-511602004
    4 years ago

I had this same thing happen to me digging up some of my pups. I went ahead and potted them and they looked bad for a few weeks but they are putting off new leaves so i have to assume they are growing a root system. I actually have seen my neighbor plant a piece of root and get a plant out of it. it was slow go but it happened. I was told once by a hawaiian man not to throw them away. Plant them they will grow. And so far he is right. I do mix peralite in with my pottying soil as to make sure they dont get to saturated with

• HU-969405872
    4 years ago

Dave. Do you have soil or water in the cup/pot?

I dug a couple for my daughter a while back and got one with no roots. It was about 2 ft tall. I put it in water for several days then potted it in soil. It died all the way down to soil level but a couple weeks later it started putting out new growth and now its growing good. I think it’s a 50/50 shot but never give up always try to root everything. You never know.

• TheyCallMeDave
    4 years ago

Mine go directly into soil. If it's a bigger sucker, you need roots to keep the top growth alive.... or the top will get dry and die while the roots start growing... and then new top growth once roots are established.

Usually my bigger suckers come out with some roots.... it's the smaller ones that I struggle to get roots from.

• Heather Meadows
    4 years ago

I got this big guy who, to my surprise, didn't have any roots that I could find. I wouldn't have bothered him if I had known. I brought him on home though because it had so much damage it would have died. We were hurried and didn't have any tools; I assumed it was going to be an easy one.... I really want to save him because I'm so guilty plus I want to stick it in my husband's face!

• Durell Twitty
    3 years ago

Heather Meadows is that a bananaplant?