Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blownz281

Digging up banana plants for move

blownz281
16 years ago

i live in Ohio and right now we still have very warm temps here for this time of year. we are putting the house up for sale this coming week and my Basjoo are coming with me. i have grown them for five years with out ever using any protection and i always wait till acouple frost before i cut them down. now there is no way to tell when the weather will decide to get cold/frost here. i don't think it would be a good idea if it takes along time to sell my house and then the ground freezes and i try to dig them up then. HELP

Comments (11)

• ohgirl
    16 years ago

DIG EM' UP, AND PUT THEM BABIES IN POTS! CUT THEM OFF AND STORE THEM OR PUT THEM IN A SUNNY WINDOW. THERE'S A WEALTH OF INFO ON THIS SITE. GOOD LUCK! OHGIRL......

• blownz281
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks but will it hurt anything digging them up and storing them to early before they get frost damage? i'm layed off from my job and money is tight so i would rather not spend $40.00 or more on huge pots..

• oppalm
    16 years ago

it wil not hurt to dig them up before they get frost damage. I do it to mine every year. No need to spend lots of money on big pots either. I bought a couple of big plastic tubs at walmart several years ago. I dig mine up, cut the leaves off , shake the dirt off the corm and store them in my basement with the big ole corm in the bucket, I can fit like 4-6 banana stalks in the big tubs. I throw a thin layer of pine bark mulch over the corms and water just enough to keep them damp, not wet.
    try it.

• blownz281
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well i got them all dug up today. washed off all the dirt,cut all the leaves off except the ones in the centers. thats what i was going to do,just set the corms in a box and maybe mist them once a while. my basement stays pretty warm but i can shut off two of the vents in the ceiling to keep it cooler. i'm curious as to these tubs your talking about at walmart? i need something large i can house my large prickly pear bushes i'm bringing with me when i move. but i have to be able to drill a hole in the bottom for drainage and be able to pick it up as the cacti are large... Thanks

• oppalm
    16 years ago

I can't find a picture of one, and I am at work, but, Walmart or Kmart (maybe HD or Lowes), etc, sell the plastic utility tubs with rope handles for about $6. I actually picked up 2 of them last year at Dollar General for $4 each. They are about 1/2 the height of a standard trash can. They are great cheap storage containers. You can drill a hole in the bottom for drainage if you wish. Good luck.

• blownz281
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cool the dollar general sounds good to me. Thanks

• buzzwinder
    16 years ago

Is this the bucket your talking about, I put DCs in here in Aug. as they had out grown there previous pot rather quickly, just drilled a bunch of 3/8 and 1/4 inch holes in the bottom, they all seem to be much happier now!{{gwi:421688}}

• buzzwinder
    16 years ago

Here is another pic of same pot taken 9/9/07 {{gwi:421690}} either DC likes the pot or the kids are shrinking :)

• blownz281
    Original Author
    16 years ago

cool thanks yes i found containers.

• wanna_run_faster
    16 years ago

Your kids are adorable too! :)

• xerophyte NYC
    16 years ago

I keep the rootball intact and stored in big black garbage bags. The rootball is watered lightly every now and then while in the garage. I cut off all the leaves except the newest one.

I dug mine out this week. The largest clump had about 8 or 9 huge stalks and it was too heavy to maneuver. I took a knife and split it apart into manageable clumps.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm