Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Digging up banana plants for move

Posted by blownz281 zone 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 24, 07 at 9:29

i live in Ohio and right now we still have very warm temps here for this time of year. we are putting the house up for sale this coming week and my Basjoo are coming with me. i have grown them for five years with out ever using any protection and i always wait till acouple frost before i cut them down. now there is no way to tell when the weather will decide to get cold/frost here. i don't think it would be a good idea if it takes along time to sell my house and then the ground freezes and i try to dig them up then. HELP

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Digging up banana plants for move

DIG EM' UP, AND PUT THEM BABIES IN POTS! CUT THEM OFF AND STORE THEM OR PUT THEM IN A SUNNY WINDOW. THERE'S A WEALTH OF INFO ON THIS SITE. GOOD LUCK! OHGIRL......

o

Thanks but will it hurt anything digging them up and storing them to early before they get frost damage? i'm layed off from my job and money is tight so i would rather not spend $40.00 or more on huge pots..

o

it wil not hurt to dig them up before they get frost damage. I do it to mine every year. No need to spend lots of money on big pots either. I bought a couple of big plastic tubs at walmart several years ago. I dig mine up, cut the leaves off , shake the dirt off the corm and store them in my basement with the big ole corm in the bucket, I can fit like 4-6 banana stalks in the big tubs. I throw a thin layer of pine bark mulch over the corms and water just enough to keep them damp, not wet.
try it.

o

Well i got them all dug up today. washed off all the dirt,cut all the leaves off except the ones in the centers. thats what i was going to do,just set the corms in a box and maybe mist them once a while. my basement stays pretty warm but i can shut off two of the vents in the ceiling to keep it cooler. i'm curious as to these tubs your talking about at walmart? i need something large i can house my large prickly pear bushes i'm bringing with me when i move. but i have to be able to drill a hole in the bottom for drainage and be able to pick it up as the cacti are large... Thanks

o

I can't find a picture of one, and I am at work, but, Walmart or Kmart (maybe HD or Lowes), etc, sell the plastic utility tubs with rope handles for about $6. I actually picked up 2 of them last year at Dollar General for $4 each. They are about 1/2 the height of a standard trash can. They are great cheap storage containers. You can drill a hole in the bottom for drainage if you wish. Good luck.

o

Cool the dollar general sounds good to me. Thanks

o

Is this the bucket your talking about, I put DCs in here in Aug. as they had out grown there previous pot rather quickly, just drilled a bunch of 3/8 and 1/4 inch holes in the bottom, they all seem to be much happier now!Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

Here is another pic of same pot taken 9/9/07 Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket either DC likes the pot or the kids are shrinking :)

o

cool thanks yes i found containers.

o

Your kids are adorable too! :)

o

I keep the rootball intact and stored in big black garbage bags. The rootball is watered lightly every now and then while in the garage. I cut off all the leaves except the newest one.

I dug mine out this week. The largest clump had about 8 or 9 huge stalks and it was too heavy to maneuver. I took a knife and split it apart into manageable clumps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here