Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gcmastiffs

Death of an Ae Ae

gcmastiffs
17 years ago

My Ae Ae has done well for over a year. It was planted in partial shade, under taller Bananas. Today I saw that it was slumped over. I dug it up, thinking I would trim it back, pot it and baby it back to health. As I pruned away the leaves, I felt a soft spot in the stem halfway up. So I cut it off below the damage. I then could see black in the center of the stem. I brought the remains indoors, washed off the soil and examined the base of the tree carefully. Something (an insect/worm) has been living in my Ae Ae, eating it from the inside out. The poor tree had blackened areas that extended completely from one side of the stem, through the center, and out the opposite side. Trails also went upwards(I could follow eaten-away tunnels as I removed layers of skin), and down into the rootball, with many exits.

Anyone familiar with a worm that eats expensive Banana trees? My other plants look fine and are fruiting and have plentiful offspring. I looked on EDIS, and did not find many pests that attack Musas.

I'm in South Florida.

Bummed....

Lisa

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!