Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesa58

banana plant with pups

lesa58
17 years ago

i have a banana plant which i've seen it called a zebra. anyway it has red markings in the leaves and the main vein is green. my problem is i have read that if the parent banana sends up pups that the mother plant will die. when i bought the plant it was root bound and even had roots trying to grow on top of the soil so i had a pot just a bit bigger and then i had a pot that is about 4 to 6 times bigger than the root ball so i planted it in the smaller pot which is just a bit bigger than the 5 gal. pot that it came in. my banana is in the house. i have never had a banana plant but after the pups which there are 3 two doing great and the other still very small it seemed when the pups came up the mother plant kind of quite growing and the leaf that is coming out which is not unfolded yet the leaf is getting brown patches in it. is the mother plant dieing or am i not watering it enough or to much? i usually water the plant once a week and give it a pitcher full of water which is a 2 quart pitcher i have quit feeding it now since the days are shorter and getting cooler and the plant is located infront of a patio door which is facing east. and the edges of the leaves that are unfolded are turning yellow around the edges. should i cut the pups out they are about 6 to 12" tall and are leafing out like crazy. any info would help. would post a pic but have no idea how.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio