Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentuckykris

Wintering bananas indoors

kentuckykris
16 years ago

I have a huge banana plant (trunk about 5'tall, with leaves 10') that I have had outside in a pot on my deck all summer. I dont' know the variety but it is a darker green with red stalks and the leaves are much larger (like 1' wide X 3-4' long) than most of the more common bananas that I usually see. Last night I brought it inside because it seemed to not be happy about the last few 45 degree nights we've had. It was much to large to put in my basement where I normally over winter all my potted plants so I had to put it in the family room where it will receive very little light. I know some people that had bananas that they plant outside every summer in my zone and for the winter they wait until the foilage dies back then dig them up and cut off the trunks wash the roots, dry then over winter in a garage wrapped in newspaper and placed in paper bags. This meathod seems to work fine for them as there trees grow to 15' tall during the summer. However they have the more common variety around here and full sun. I however have no direct sunlight in my yard and am afraid if I cut this banana's trunk it will be tiny next year. The size and colors are very striking how it is and I hope to have it be just as beautiful next year (hopefully no larger though). Does any body have any suggestions for me? I'm afraid it won't get enough light were it is and just die back over the winter but it is too large to go under the light in the basement. Also should I fertilize it during the winter at all if I leave it in the pot?

Comment (1)