Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arctictropical

Pics of large outdoor ensete moved inside

arctictropical
15 years ago

Man, these ensete get big! the 15 Gal. pot it's in barely accepted the plant. Does anyone have any experience with keeping a large ensete inside? I'd like to know how big they can get inside.

{{gwi:422602}}

{{gwi:422604}}

Comments (9)

• v1rt
    15 years ago

Awesome and gorgeous ensete there. I can't wait for mine. Here is what I have noticed about the growth of my ensete in the living room. The new leaf that came out is 2 to 3 inches shorter than the original leaf when I got it. I'm going to take a look at the new leaf that is coming out again.

Oh, I sent you an email. :)

• sandy0225
    15 years ago

I'd say in a location like that, they could even grow a little overwinter because of the light, but most likely you'll get little to very slow growth indoors. Which in your case might be good! Watch your watering, dryer is better, and definitely watch for spider mites.

• glen3a
    15 years ago

Wow! You have a window and high ceiling that most gardeners would die for. Love all the other plants by the window too, I have a much smaller version of that in my place. Your plant is lovely but it must have been a chore to bring indoors.

When I overwintered my ensete indoors last winter, I watered sparingly every couple of weeks and not even that much, and about once a month sprayed with neem oil/water/dish detergent solution, just as a precaution against spider mites or other bugs.

• v1rt
    15 years ago

I agree, Kevin's house is beautiful! How many years do I have to wait before my ensete can reach at least 8 or 10 ft? Right now, it's just 3 ft from ground to very edge of leaf.

• sandy0225
    15 years ago

I'd say it'll get that tall next year. Especially if you plant it directly in the ground, fertilize it and water it well during hot weather.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    15 years ago

Yikes! Looks like a spider mite magnet! How are you gonna keep the mites under control? l Impressive though. I probably would have removed most of the leaves.

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

Hey Arctic,I would say the sky(light)s the limit!What a great room to grow/live in!I bet you could find a way to get that beautiful nice lady on the couch to let you build some bigger boxes!LOL,I found begging worked well with my X-wife!Oooops,I am just pulling your leg,I think?man you have almost as nice a set up inside as out!VERY COOL!!!!!

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Dave! Yes, the banana plants are definitely a spider mite magnet. With the number of indoor plants I have, I'm always fighting spider mites, aphids, mealy bug and scale. Oh well. I have to do something in the winter! Jim, thanks for your encouragement. I have to admit that my wife puts up with an awful lot, especially my "addiction" to tropical plants, inside and out. I guess if we have to have some addiction, this is as good as any other!

Kevin

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

I agree a healthy and life affirming adiction,very nice to see such large banana plants inside!!can't wait to see how big they get!inside and out-