Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indoor Dwarf Orinoco

Posted by stilesec 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 7, 08 at 17:09

I recently bought a dwarf Orinoco plant that is about 3 feet tall. I planted it in a 22' pot with Miracle-Gro Moisture control potting soil. Recently some of the leaves have been turning yellow and brown. Is this normal?

What kind of care should I provide? It is always 70 degrees in my office. Do I need a space heater near the tree? Will the tree fruit? Should it be misted? Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

Dwarf Orinoco

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indoor Dwarf Orinoco

Yes that is normal. Those are the bottom leaves. As the banana plant gets more leaves, the lower ones will start to turn yellowish then brown. Once a leaf is totally brown with no traces of green left on it, cut off the dead leaf. If all the leaves were doing that, I'd be a little concerned. No, you do not need a space heater for the banana. (Bananas are essentially large herbs and are not classified as trees)

The banana will eventually fruit, but the problem is that it will rapidly outgrow that pot before fruiting. I had a dwarf orinoco fruit for me, but it was in the ground and was a good 6-7 feet tall when it did. Maybe someone else here has had dwarf orinoco fruit in a pot and could tell you how large it was when it did.

Misting is ok and would not hurt, but bananas like humid weather in the summer. Due to the dry office conditions in the winter, misting wouldn't help out that much, but as I said, it wouldn't hurt at all. Mist away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here