Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrascritters

Dwarf Banana

terrascritters
16 years ago

Recently purchased this plant at Lowes. I love the large leaves and tropical look of it. I raise ducks and think this would make a nice accent for the summer months.

I have NO clue what to do with it though.

I have had it about a week and have not watered it yet. It is dripping alot of water from its leaves. Some leaves seem to be turning yellow.

What do I do?

Thanks

Comments (3)

• bananafan
    16 years ago

Is it still in the pot? And is it sitting out in the sun now? If yes to these two questions, it needs to be watered as soon as possible. Sounds like your plant is dehydrated. Bananas love watering. Of course with most plants, the soil should be let to dry briefly in between watering.

I'm not sure though what causes the leaves to drip water. If the stem is also oozing water, be careful that it's not some kind of disease.

In the meantime, give it a drink of water if the soil is already dried up. I have many bananas in the pot too. I usually grow them in miracle grow soil covered with some mulch. Then I feed them with liquid plant food every 2-3 weeks. They seem to like this treatment so far.

You rear ducks? Sounds like fun to me. All the best to your banana.

• hueytlatoani
    16 years ago

If the plant is indoors, I shouldn't imagine it needs much watering, probably only once a week or less, and that should probably be on the light side.

That water dripping from the leaves is "guttation". It's a sign that the plant is still alive. In order for a plant to perform photosynthesis it has to move water in an unbroken column from the roots to the leaves (Where water-splitting occurs). This process is called "Evapotranspiration". The water is driven by evaporation from the leaves, and the negative pressure caused at the leaf (From evaporation) causes more water to be "sucked" in through the roots. The water you see on the leaves (Usually in the mornings) is water that the plant has used to drive it's vascular system. Nothing to worry about, in fact it's a good sign.

• terrascritters
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so very much!
    My banana is indoors in my kids room by there windows for natural lighting.
    I am glad to hear that the water coming from the leaves is normal and ok!
    The soil is still moist and I have not had to water it yet.
    With my other plants once a leaf goes yellow I just took it off by breaking it or cutting it. I did this with my banana. Is that ok?
    Yes my banana is still in a pot from the store, should i transfer it to a different pot bigger?

About that water dripping, I am told it can stain my carpets brown and even clothing if it gets on it. Should I put something down below it so it doesnt stain? I have not noticed it on the ground but it may be drying before I notice? Its slow.

Off to read more posts on these plants thanks