Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Edible Banana to grow in California

Posted by crazy_rose CA (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 21, 05 at 19:41

I am interested to grow edible banana plant in my garden. I am new to gardening. I live in California, city is Fremont. Can you help me to identify which zone I live in? What kinds would be best suited for my climate? Where would I get banana plants or pups on a reasonable price in California. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Edible Banana to grow in California

• Posted by Baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 23, 05 at 7:17

One inexpensive source of bananas is swap meets. I have seen pups sell for about $3.00, & 6 specimens for about $10.00. The varieties might be unnamed, but sometimes they are unusual, and sellers will often present their fruit alongside the plant. Another source is Asian markets. They are more expensive, but I recently saw 6 edible varieties in pots for about $25.00. The cheapest bananas I have found are at the dollar stores unnamed varieties for, of course, $1.00.
Having said all this, if you want named varieties, others will probably suggest nurseries. They also sell them at your local department and home improvement centers , but you need to check out the varieties to see if they are edible.

o

You can look for your zone yourself, see link.
Simon.
Search for a banana with a lower rate than your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: usda zonemap CA

o

Here is another that uses your 5 digit zip code.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zone by zip code

o

Hi,

On using "usda zonemap CA" then I find my zone as 10a and according to "Zone by zip code" (my zip code - 94555) then it says "The maximum plant hardiness zone for your zip code is 9."
What should I consider (10a or 9)?

Hi Baci, Thanks a lot for your suggestion. Let me search for the local swap meet and Asian Markets. I usually get my stuff from the local nursery 'Regan Nursery'. I would check with them too.

o

To be sure, take a low number. ->9b
In a south facing garden with hedges, you could try 10a plants. USDA is only an indication, not reality. You could also have a cold winter.
Simon

o

Usually if you are closer to the Bay, the harder it is for bananas to bloom. The cooler year round area prevents the blooming and often the banana chokes out. Although bananas do not suffer frost damages, there is simply no bloom in most cases, this is the major complaint of banana growers aroung the vicinity of the cooler areas in the SF Bay. The farther you are from the influence of the sea temperature, the better are your chances. If you live more inland, or farther away like San Jose, Gilroy, south facing hilly portions of Fremont, Antioch, you will have more consistent fruit production.

The only proven one that has consistently produced even in the cooler Bay Area is the California Gold. You may have good microclimate that is warmer and perhaps other bananas would be bear fruits. Here are the other bets aside from California Gold: Raja Puri, Misi Luki, Ice Cream, Brazilian (dwarf and regular), Namwah (dwarf, regular and pearl), Orinoco (dwarf and regular), Goldfinger, Mysore, Rhinohorn. These are the varieties that you would look for. There are more, but they would require really warm soil temperature to bloom.

o
California gold

Joe is right on the money.
Many varieties of bananas just don't do well close to the bay. They may put on nice growth, but if and when they do flower, the fruit doesn't develop right and it rots.
This even happened to me here in Modesto with Goldfinger.

Anyway... if anybody is interested, I have some nice fat California Gold rhizomes that i'll let go at a very reasonable " midwinter " price.
Drop me a line at... tropic2tropical(at)hotmail.com if interested.

Jeff

o

That "zones by zip" is incredibly conservative. It lists my small zip code as 10 and 8. Zone 8 is 10-20F. Even the coldest microclimate hasn't seen <20F in at least 20 years. Unless I were planting a tree with a 100 year life expectancy I think I would ignore that lower number.

o

I would be interested in the varieties California Gold and Texas Star. Thanks, Mick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here