Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananafan

Garden Riddle

bananafan
16 years ago

What's the secret to a bunch of grass growing in a pot that is filled with gravels and gravels only (with no soil or any other growing medium in it) except rain water?

Answer to follow later. Have fun!

Comments (10)

• hueytlatoani
    16 years ago

Interesting problem, bananafan...
    I'm going to take a stab at this problem...the real question is how long the grass will survive (and sustain normal growth/reproduction) without new micronutrients being added to the system.

List of plant essential nutrients (and their needed values in the average plant)+ sources in this system:

C = 450,000 ppm from c02 in atmosphere
    H = 60,000 ppm from photosynthetic water splitting
    O = 450,000 ppm from photosynthetic water splitting
    P = 2,000 ppm Present in rock
    K = 10,000 ppm Present in rock
    N = 15,000 ppm From rainwater produced by an ionizing storm
    S = 1,000 ppm from air pollutants resulting from burning of fossil fuels
    Ca = 5,000 ppm common in dolomitic limestone
    Mg = 2000 ppm common in dolomitic limestone

All of these are needed in very small amounts, and their absence may not become apparent until late in the plant's lifecycle:
    (Also, all are present in small degrees in rock)

Fe = 100 ppm
    Mo = 0.1 ppm
    B = 20 ppm
    Cu = 6 ppm
    Mn = 50 ppm
    Zn = 20 ppm
    Cl = 100 ppm

Grass is a monocotyledon and thus reenforces it's cellwalls with silica...which is also common in silicate rocks.

I hope I'm on the right track...unless this is a trick question?

• modenacart
    16 years ago

You can buy the overpriced crap you see on TV that they grow on bricks.

• bananafan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hueylatoani: Wow, I'm truly impressed with your answers. I wish I had such knowledge.

modenacart: Yeah ... makes me think what makes that stuff work.

But, hang on guys, I'll post a picture soon. He he ... sorry to keep you guys in suspense. In the meantime, keep scratching your heads ... :D

• hueytlatoani
    16 years ago

Seriously, man, you're killin' me.

• bananafan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ok, here comes the answer .....

Picture of the pot (remember the riddle was NO growing medium IN the pot). Go figure for 1 sec and scroll down for the complete answer.

{{gwi:422899}}

. .
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . .

The Answer:

The grass grew from the soil underneath the pot, went through the pot opening and up on the surface of the pot. It fooled me for a moment, but because I had the full picture in front of me, it was easy for me to see where it all started. :)

• hueytlatoani
    16 years ago

heh-so it was a trick question. I suppose I make things more complicated than they need be-I was envisioning some sort of non-recirculating passive hydroponic array...anyway, it's really amazing how hard some plant shoots will work just to force their way into a space...I remember when I took weed science hearing of a yellow nutsedge (cyperus esculentum) sprout pushing up though the bottom of an above-ground swimming pool. Drained the pool. Cyperus can exert over 2,000 psi of force from it's expanding shoot tip-5 mil black plastic doesn't stand a snowball's chance.

• nucci60
    16 years ago

Is it grass? It looks like a daylily.

• bananafan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yep, weeds definitely have their weed power.

The grass in the picture is St. Augustine. They're really agressive.

• sandy0225
    16 years ago

Now if the stuff you WANTED to grow would just do that!!!

• nyssaman
    16 years ago

Holy crap Huey if you don't hurry your going to miss your Mensa meeting.....lol

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor