Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
no stem on Flower

Posted by pumpkins4u 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 20:42

I have a dwarf Cavendish that is flowering right now it appears to have two flower heads but they didn't develop a much of a stem.

I've included pictures.

photo IMAG0446_zps5a951de1.jpg

photo IMAG0447_zps45a21dfc.jpg

photo IMAG0448_zps4226026f.jpg

Any ideas. Should I cut off the closest two leaves? Will it still develop and ripen. Also worried about the winter onset. What happens if temps drop too much before the fruit ripens. Will they continue ripening in the spring if I can keep them from freezing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: no stem on Flower

sure it isnt a double mahoi> never seen a cav with 2 flowers before..there not going to ripen before frost sorry to say. Your looking at a good 8 months till full ripeness.. people differ on diggin them while flowering. some say it stops other say if you take a big enough root ball it keeps going. once the freeze gets them there goners anyway. since the die after flowering just hope one of the pups hits at the right time next time it flowers.

o

I'm not sure. I got them at Lowe's they were labeled Dwarf Cavandish. I too was shocked at the two flower heads.

I read somewhere you can overwinter the fruit and they'll plump in the spring. If I can keep it from freezing is that true?

o

I bought 3 gran nain at lowes this spring....turned out to be 3 dwarf cavs, I was much happier...

I full plant pic might help id it, double mahoi looks a good bit different than a DC.

How olds the plant?
You got great growth if its only a year old!

I defiantly would not cut anything off!
Just enjoy it and see what Mother Nature has in store!
Maybe it's a new species altogether...

This post was edited by grabmebymyhandle on Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 0:27

o

I'll get a pic tonight if I have a chance.

It was in a pot last year so I think it is over a year. I cut pup's off this spring. I know last winter the plant was so tall when me and my hubby lugged the pot in I had to tip it on it's side. But I put it in the ground this year.

o

• Posted by rednofl 9b Goldenrod Fl hz (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 9:11

If it is small enough to dig up with a full root ball you could put it in a pot and take it inside when it will freeze or you can tent it. It appears to have choked , I would post it over at bananas.org there are some very experianced folks over there who would be interested and can be more help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here