Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bassetlvr_gw

Should I repot banana or wait?

bassetlvr
15 years ago

Hello, I have a dwarf red banana tree that I managed to rescue as a pup. It was just a tiny thing no bigger than maybe 2". I nurtured it along, first in my kitchen windowsill and then when it was strong enough, outside to the enclosed screened porch. I finally was able to put it into a pot. I chose to do this rather than planting in the ground because living along the southwest Gulf Coast, about 5 miles from the beach I wanted to be able to bring it in when high winds or hurricanes threatened. I've had too many banana plants in the ground that have been broken by storms or had their leaves completely shredded. I had grown a beautiful banana in a pot when I lived in Dallas - - - it grew to 6' tall and put out more babies than I could count. It was my pride and joy. Anyway, my current plant was doing ok and coming along and then all of a sudden it's taken a down turn. Leaves are dying and there's one in the center that's been there for a few weeks, but it hasn't unfurled and really doesn't look like it's going to. Should I repot it into a larger size pot? There are roots coming out the bottom. It looks really miserable. I thank everybody in advance for any advice.