Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan51_gw

help please

susan51
17 years ago

Hello,

I have been here before to post and got some wonderful advice.. I am new to banana plants... Well one day we went to a Home Depot and they had there banana plants on discount... One was a smaller one in a good enough pot. The second one is very big to me and I think it is in two small of a pot,It was not in good shape when I got but she is looking better each day... When should I repot? Now,spring? This plant is a Burgandy Stained Ornamental Banana plant in the musa sumatrana Rojo.. Is Greek to me..LOL...

I am adding a picture of it and I hope you all dont mind.

Thanks

Susan

{{gwi:423118}}

{{gwi:423119}}

Sorry floor looks awful but not normaly like that ... Long story...

Thanks again Susan

Comments (5)

• shiollie
    17 years ago

Yes, that pot is way too small for that nanner!! You could repot in a bigger pot, but it will make it untill spring, you might even get a few pups in spring!! That banana looks more like a Dwarf Cavendish or a high color mini.
    Nice plumies you have there too!! :)

• susan51
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you so much for your answer.. I was begining to think no one was going to help... :-( It is not fully root bound so I think I will wait until later to repot.. I think it has gone through enough already... It really looked like garbage when I bought it... As for the type,who knows.. I just typed what the stick on label said.. Does not really matter I just wanted to save it... Now they had this bigger one on the rack also... When I got that and asked how much was this one 3 or 6 dollars the boy said Oh that one is 23.99 .. I said what he then said someone more then likely put it with those... Funny they were the only 3 banana plants they had.... so that one stayed... I was not paying that much money for a plant that was beat up.
    I have my first flower from my plumerias today... I am so excited...LOL silly huh?
    Well once again I really do thank you for your help...
    Susan

• shiollie
    17 years ago

Susan, Hi, Bananas can take alot of abuse and still grow like crazy when they get what they need. ( wait till next spring!)
    Most of the time the big box stores buy in bulk and just trust what is on the label, the buyers know that in our zones it is an annual, but hey... it makes a buck or 2 for the store.

So you got your first plumie flower... silly? No, I just got mine this summer, it was just a generic one but I was proud of it. It was pink and white in a swirl with yellow at the center.

• hibiscus909
    17 years ago

I thought that was a plumie. Congrats of the flower - it is exciting :) I had one plant bloom this year, after years of growing them with few blooms.

I think you'd be OK to repot your naner. I saw what HD was selling and those tiny pots drive me crazy! You could just pot it up one pot size. I do not like the non-soil stuff the nurseries use, so I do like to give them something good when I bring them home.

Be careful not to overwater in the winter (the corm & roots can rot), and keep an eye out for spider mites in addition to the unual indoor pests.

seahorse

• nucci60
    17 years ago

susan51, that is a musa zebrina,not a cavendish. they are fairly common and have a slim pseudotem (bananas don't really have trunks). a beautiful banana that will have much more vibrant red splashes in a sunny location. Sorry, make that PSEUDOSTEM!