Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Desperately Seeking Pink Velvet Banana

Posted by fozebear Gulf Coast, USA (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 10, 07 at 22:16

I tried several times over the summer to get a pink velvet banana on ebay but kept losing out. I would really, really like to get one started now so that by the spring it will be established. I can't find anything anywhere except seeds. Does anyone know where I can get M. velutina?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Desperately Seeking Pink Velvet Banana

Banana angels must have been looking over. Just found plants on ebay "Buy It Now" on CLEARANCE. Auction is good for 12 hours if anyone else is looking. I'm excited!!!!

o

Did you get one all ready? If not, maybe we can work out a trade. I just went out and see my seeds germinated. I had a couple of bananas this summer and just took the (whole) bananas and planted in the pot with my banana...and they came up!

o

After trying all summer I jumped on them when I saw them on ebay. Have to wait to see what condition they are in when they arrive. How neat that your seeds came up! This is my first summer at being bitten by the banana bug. I have some NOIDs in the back yard that were here when I moved in and have never bloomed. Bought two ice cream bananas this summer, Chinese yellow flowering banana and now the pink velvet.

o

If they don't make it, Logee has some in 2.5 pots. here is the website:
http://www.logees.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R1674-2
also Thomas and Morgan seeds has some seeds
http://www.tmseeds.com/product/914.html

o

Don't know why I got lucky with the seeds this time. I've tried at least a hundred seeds from ebay, trades, etc. Never got one to germinate. Was finally lucky enough to get a pup from Gabe15 (thanks Gabe!) and it bloomed this past summer. I offered up the seeds for trades and when I had no takers I just started picking the bananas off when they popped open and sticking them right into the dirt! That was it, no alternating cold / warm, blah, blah, everything else I heard and tried! Just good old leave them in the rotting banana. LOL

o

The plants from ebay got here and they're big, healthy nanners. I'm very excited.

That's funny about your seeds. One of my stapelias made two seed pods last year. People gave me all of these long involved instructions on how to get the seeds to germinate but none of them came up. When the next pod opened I just washed the seeds into the dirt when I watered it. I had babies galore.

o

Congratulations on your new nana's Fozebear! They really are pretty, plus my pup flower it's first summer at barely 2 feet tall. Hopefully yours will too!

o

• Posted by gaalan z8 Atlanta (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 20, 07 at 21:30

This banana is one that blooms in one season. I've had a clump since 6/17/05 and it bloomed all three summers. Had three stems to flower this year!

o

I put these in 5 gal pots for the winter. It will be easy for me to protect them as we get only a few frosts here. My plan is to put them in the ground probably in March. I also got a Chinese Yellow and one other that I can't recall the name.

I'm a new bananna fan. Can't wait until next summer! Any advice would be appreciated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here