Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
antonv_gw

Please help a newbie with my indoor banana

antonv
12 years ago

Ive had this indoor banana houseplant in my NYC apartment for about 6 months now. It was pushing new leaves very consistently, until September. I have a few questions on how to care for these.

{{gwi:423182}}

1) Do these go dormant for the winter? Should I cut back on watering during the wintertime? It is next to the window, which definitely gets some cold air passing through the glass. Should I pull it farther away from the glass for the cold season? Its a modern window frame, and isn't really drafty, just the cold transfer through the glass.

2) Do they require food? I don't expect them ever to flower, being grown in a Manhattan apartment with okay sun. If food is required, when should I feed it and what ratios? Is there something that is easily acquirable at home depot or something.

3) Do I need to worry about the soil for now? Should I re-pot? How quickly will this type of plant begin to overcrowd a pot? Also, what should I do about sad looking leaves? Can I trim the edges on them, or do they need to be removed all the way to the soil?

4) Just from the pic, what other info can you offer. Does it look like it is doing well? What else do I need to know? Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (6)

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

1)No they don't go dormant.Yes cut more on watering in winter but don't let it go to dry.The cold air is fine it won't be harmful to the tree since it's colder in the tropical regions in winter.

2)Yes, bananas are heavy feeders ,but just apply some fertilizer when it's still growing.Miracle grow is fine you can find it everywhere too.

3)You should repot it, I use cactus mix for my banana plant and it's doing wonderful.Don't do anything to the leaves just cut them if they start begenning to be yellow and are starting to dry.You banana have an interesting shape, it's tall and it does not have a big trunk...it's maybye because you didn't put it outside this summer.You should really put it outside in summer.

4)It's green, it will do fine :), you can cut the lower leaves if you want.

Sam

P.S: I have a banana too that I'm growing in Canada.

• Bamatufa
    12 years ago

Looks to be a Bird of Paradise plant to me.

• knotz
    12 years ago

Looks like a BOP to me too...This is not a banana...The leaves on this plant look thicker and are curled on the ends, something that BOPs do...I grow BOPs, bananas and other tropicals, and this is a BOP...I would repot to next size up soon.

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

That's what I think too beacause of the shape of it.

• Bamatufa
    12 years ago

Here is a pic of a banana & BOP. Big difference between the two.My BOP went downhill shortly after buying it.Not sure how best to take of it.I would love to know the secrets of the commercial nurseries because it had not one flaw when I purchased it.

{{gwi:423183}}
    cc449/bamatufa/?action=view&current=2011-10-25_17-33-43_559.jpg target=_blank>{{gwi:423184}}

• knotz
    12 years ago

I keep mine outside once the weather gets nicer, no lower than 50' at night...An occasional 40' is ok...Then they go in the greenhouse that's heated to no lower than 40'.

I fertilize with Peters, only available through a Nursery Grower...I can't remember the "numbers" off hand...There is also a timed release mixed in the soil.

My soil mix is a blend of potting mix, cactus mix and extra perlite.

They seem to grow better for me in part sun/part shade, no direct sun.

Indoors I would think filtered light and not as much water.

This is what works for me :)

knotz