Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Putting Basjoo away for the winter???

Posted by larry_joliet 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 07 at 1:24

I had gotten 2 Basjoo last year and had them out in the garden all summer (06). At the end of the growing season I had dug them up and potted them up and kept them in the house for the winter. They didnt get very big....about 1.5 feet. This past spring I put them back out into the garden and they grew to be about 3ish feet, the base got very thick on them.
Well anyway, my question is...
I had got some wire fencing, and mulch to put my plants to bed outside this winter since they seemed to get on the big side. Has anyone just used the mulch bag at protection over the fencing, instead of plastic? Will this be enough protection?
I know that I read about putting blankets, and lights out with the plants.
Any other Ideas?
This will be the first Year that im gonna try wintering over my banana plants
Not that I wont like banana plants any more, I will not be wintering over my plants anymore. Just growing them in the house.
Thanks for all the help that you can give me

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Putting Basjoo away for the winter???

Larry, I'm in Loves Park Illinois, about 1 hour west of Joliet,This is my first year growing Bananas and I have about a million questions on how to do things,I have Dwarf Cavandish, Zebrina Rojo and Gran nain, all in pots as well as several citrus trees, I found a great site for help with Bananas with a lot of people from Wisc. and many zone 5'ers. Check out Bananas.org very informative and helpful, Good Luck with your Basjoo, much more hardy than the ones I have, gonna have to get one next spring though, very attractive plants. :)

o

The main thing is to protect a diameter around the plant about three feet across, or even bigger. So if your mulch bag is really big, then that would work. But I'm thinking that you might not be covering enough area.

o

Good morning,
I have a banana that says it's hardy up into zone 5.
This my first year with this, I live in Decatur, IL
and bought this thing in the spring in Champaign, IL.
It was 1.5 ft. tall, I planted it in the ground and
at this point it is 11 ft. tall, 8 ft. wide, and has
put forth 7 pups some are 4-5 ft. tall.
The area that I need to protect is about 2 ft. wide.
I moved 2 of the pups to the front yard, so I have
now 3 areas to protect. I'll have to get the tag to
see what the variety is but thats in the greenhouse
at the moment.
Hal Warrick

o

I lost my basjoo last winter because I made the mistake of placing plastic bags full of mulch right on the plant. The plastic trapped moisture.

So I learned to keep only dry mulch or a towel close to the plant. This year I rigged up a large chicken wire cage which I filled with dry mulch. Then I covered the entire thing with plastic, staked down around the perimeter. I also used a fungicide this year, because last winter a white powder grew everywhere (probably because it was damp from the plastic). I might try Christmas lights also, especially if we have the temperatures we had last winter!

I'm hoping for better results this year!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here