Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering

Posted by pauln z7B Arkansas (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 6, 12 at 10:58

Hello folks. I'm sorta new to the whole "tropical" thing and have one simple question. A friend gave me a banana plant two years ago. It did great the first summer, and I dug it up and kept it bare-root in my cellar. This year, it started out great, but eventually a big wind "tumped" the whole thing over and I kept trying to find a place where it would stay upright. My question: Can I cut the entire plant before moving it into my cellar, or should I leave it as it is (6 feet)? I think starting out shorter next year will keep it from tumping in my shallow raised beds. I'm in Central Arkansas, zone 8. We usually have mild winters with the occasional arctic blast where temps seldom get below the mid teens (F). Some folks say to cut to the ground and mulch heavily with straw. Anybody had any luck with that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering

• Posted by pauln z7B Arkansas (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 6, 12 at 11:09

I really enjoyed the tree, especially summer a year ago. We've had two really hot and dry seasons, and the weekly addition of a new leaf kept my spirits alive. It's been growing in half shade with a late afternoon blast of west face sunshine. My steep hill is composed of raised rock terraces, so the soil is usually no more than 2 feet deep.

o

you can cut it back as short as you want if your not trying to get a full size plant. it will also set the fruiting back a bit if you do it like that. If your not interested in getting fruit or your growing an ornamental then it really dosent matter at all cut it back as much as you like.. alot of overwintering does depend on the type though. please post that if you know.

o

• Posted by pauln z7B Arkansas (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 6, 12 at 19:55

Thanks miketropic. I have no idea as to the species/variety. It was a daughter plant from my friend's big one. He usually gets flowers/fruit, but his is in more sun and much better soil. I think I'll cut it back a bit just so it won't be so top heavy. I'm not concerned with flowers and really want the giant leaves mostly. I'm not brave enough to leave it in the ground with heavy straw mulch.

o

once you cut it back just keep an eye on the top for rot. if you see any rot cut it out and so on till the weather warms up and it will take right back off again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here