Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachplant

Hurricane Ike

beachplant
15 years ago

Just got internet back this weekend, it's on and off though. It has been almost 2 months since Hurricane Ike hit. The island still appears mostly dead. My bananas took a real hit. They only ones that survived are the naturalized, which I can never remember the name of! All the others died. Chinese yellow looked like it might make it but it too rotted away. There isn't even a trace of any of them! The superdwarf cavendish has been in that pot for 10 years and there isn't a sign it had bananas in it!

We didn't have any water in the house, the water line is 1" below the door!! My neighbor is 11" lower & had 10" of water. My mom had 2', her neighborhood is higher but her house is only a foot off the ground. My brother had 9' in his house, his house is raised 3 1/2'. My Aunt had water to the roof line, her house is elevated a foot. Cousin had 2' in her second floor-the house is in a lower part of the island and on a slab. Sister-in-law had 4' in her house, they floated around on their mattress all night.

For the most part foliage is dead. The oleanders have taken a dreadful hit and a lot appear dead. The city & state are working to try & save the oaks on Broadway, they average 100 years old. A lot of them have died. All the avocado trees I know about on the island are dead. What a mess!

Tally HO!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor