Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newbamboonut

Basjoo Banana Greenhouse Question

newbamboonut
10 years ago

Hi all, I read through some of the previous posts on Basjoo Banana Trees and had a question as I am a first time owner of a little 4' fellow that I had shipped from Florida to Zone 7 on the Western slop of the Sierra Nevada mountains in CA where we live. Winter is approaching and we get a good amount of snow here but a real cold day here is generally only 15 degrees and that isn't all that common. I have a large outdoor greenhouse that I made this summer and I was wondering if I could grow my little 4'' banana tree in there all winter before putting him in the ground this spring. My question specifically is, in a winter greenhouse that only gets down to 25-30 degrees minimum will the Basjoo continue to grow all winter or does it go dormant? Ideally I'd love to feed it and try and put some size on it before Spring planting but since it's my first time with the banana tree I know nothing! :) Thanks for your insight here on overwintering this little man in the greehouse. All the best from CA.

Comments (2)