Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Banana tree has fruit on it. Now What?

Posted by elbeardo CA (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 9, 09 at 14:10

Hey, when do I know it's time to cut the stalk of fruit off my banana tree? The fruit are small but they seem to have stopped growing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Banana tree has fruit on it. Now What?

Since you are new at this, I would wait until you see a slight color change. Once one starts turning yellow, go for it. They can take quite a while to start.

o

Thanks for the reply. After I cut it, should I hang it up someplace, like in my cellar?

o

After you cut it (be careful- the sap that drips out will permanently stain everything!), we do hang ours, but I don't think it is 100% necessary.
We hand it upside down, so the hands face down (they fall off less easily).

o

Hello there! I'm new to growing bananas. Can I ask you why cut the fruit off the tree (unless it's for weather reasons?)? I would think that they would mature better in the tree. I have a small Vietnamese banana that someone gave me (he didn't know the name of it) and can't wait until I get fruit, maybe next year sometime. :) Thanks in advance for the information.

Sandra

o

Yes sk290, you are right, mostly you only cut the fruit off when they are ready (ripe or almost ripe). I think the OP just wasn't sure when they are ready to be cut.
Once you have been growing bananas a while, you will know when they are ready before they turn yellow. Once they are yellow and cut, they do ripen quickly (to fast to eat them all). If you can cut them just before they turn yellow, you can slow some of the ripening. It takes some experience to know when they are ready, but just not ripe. Then you can leave them on the stalk and just cut the top hands that are ready, that way you can take them as you can eat them.

But I guess people in colder zones do need to worry about frost in winter. Maybe someone with a closer zone may be able to help with the slow growth thing. I assume, as long as it doesn't freeze, they will grow, just very slowly in colder weather.

o

I see. Thanks for the response! :)

Sandra

o

rav~

OK.

This is my first try. And I am waiting, waitng.

Can you tell if they are getting ready?

Be well

(o_O)

o

What type of bananas are these? They sort of look like an Ice Cream (Blue Java) but they are not as tightly packed as mine.
But no, not yet. Keep waiting! I know it does seem like forever when you are waiting...

Experts here have 2 ways of "knowing"- the bananas become "fat" or the flower stops making flowers and dies. I just wait until I see a touch of yellow on the top ones. To me, yours still look uniformly green.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here